Cocaine in taipei

On Wednesday I saw a news report on one of the Chinese news stations about a foreigner being busted with nearly a KILO of coke in Taipei. After that, nothing. I looked in all the English papers here and nothing was reported.
I would have thought news like that would have been of interest to the English speaking community here. (Especially to those looking forward to a “white” Christmas)!
What’s up with The China Post etc.? They would have heard of it.

Anways, anyone else hear about it? Possible sentence when convicted?

You are severely overestimating the “journalistic” abilities of the people who staff the english language fishwraps here in Taiwan. :unamused:

You expected actual local news in one of Taiwan’s local English papers? You haven’t been here long, have you? :laughing:

in the English papers? then someone might think something bad could actually happen in taiwan.

Tetsuo- Actually, I’ve been here 6 years, but you’re right about the English papers, I know what they’re like. I just thought that would at least warrant a few lines (no pun intended)!

Anyway, did anyone hear about it?

Also, last year (I think), a British guy got busted with a load of heroin, it was on the news for a day, then I heard no more of it. Was he ever convicted? Does anyone know?

Has any foreigner been convicted recently in Taiwan for big drug offenses?

I know of two occasions where the foreigners were locked up for a little time then let out (maybe on bail) with their passports, and obviously got the hell out of Taiwan.

Thoughts anyone?

I heard back in early 1998 of a laowai getting busted with possession of marijuana (less than an ounce) and getting sentenced to 5 years. It could have been real, or could have been mere hostel tales. ??

Only “foreigners” take drugs in Taiwan; everyone knows that.

i don’t think anyone believes that one anymore!

In the mid 1990’s there was not much talk about drug users here, but we knew that there was an out of sight heroin problem here.

Now… From time to time you read about young locals on “e”. no mentioning of foreigners, except on huashan, and when there are other interests at play.

The “weed” seems to be the drug of choice for the foreigners here, as far as I know.

and ‘club drugs’ are increasing in use exponentially by local youngsters, much like they have been in the States over the past five years

It’s pretty much in all of the clubs/parties now.

Is it just a coincidence that most people posting on this thread are doing it in the wee, small hours of the morning?

:astonished:

OK, I was posting here after midnight.

I was not under influence of anything, but I was basically dog tired.

that said, next time you pop them “e”'s please share out the goodies… :wink:

I think it is a dangerous combo of having a lot of disposable income (as we do in Taiwan) and a Gak source.

I have seen too many people (in the States) fuck up their lives with Gak. Terrrible, terrible chemical…terrible because it is too much fun at the beginning.

Stay away from it. If you have a need for chemicals the only one true chemical is LSD anyways. :laughing: But I don’t recommend doing it in Taiwan either…bad environment and too many ways to get into trouble.

Don’t even get me started on “etards”.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]I think it is a dangerous combo of having a lot of disposable income (as we do in Taiwan) and a Gak source.

I have seen to many people (in the States) fuck up thier lives with Gak. Terrrible, terrible chemical…terrible because it is too much fun at the beginning.

Stay away from it. If you have a need for chemicals the only one true chemical is LSD anyways. :laughing: But I don’t recommend doing it in Taiwan either…bad environment and too many ways to get into trouble.

Don’t even get me started on “etards”.[/quote]

you haven’t lived till you’ve tried to face the heaving masses of taipei at 8am whilst coming down off of a nice tab of acid…i’m paranoid at the best of times but thats a real challenge and could send the strongest drug fiend running for home with the screaming meemees!

mind you a place so inherently weird is ideal for crazy drug experiences a la hunter s. thompson…

[quote=“the bear”]

you haven’t lived till you’ve tried to face the heaving masses of Taipei at 8am whilst coming down off of a nice tab of acid…I’m paranoid at the best of times but thats a real challenge and could send the strongest drug fiend running for home with the screaming meemees!

mind you a place so inherently weird is ideal for crazy drug experiences a la hunter s. thompson…[/quote]

I dunno, staring at a 7-11 sign because the colors are running just seems like a waste of a good trip. :smiley:

You are all wrong.

LSD, speed, e, and pot are for weaklings.

I say: go legal and try out Kava kava.

No laws are broken, and it has been in testing for 1000’s of years.

What is Kava Kava?

and do you snort it or inject it?

It’s an herb that has been used by indigenous peoples for a very long time. It can be used in a variety of ways, and it’s (at least for the most part, save a few brain cells) harmless. It’s used as a healing herb, but also has ‘other’ properties that many enjoy. In my naturopathic community (I attend a naturopathic medical school with many other woo woo themes present) Kava is a very big thing.

Here’s some info