Cock Fighting

Taiwan often gets a bad rap for animal welfare (esepically from North Americans and British). However it is sometimes best to clean up your own backyard before smacking others. Yes many issues in Taiwan I get annoyed at especially large dogs in tiny cages. I have a thing about confinement.

back to the point. Cock fighting was banned in Taiwan a while back. However it is still legal for another year in the United States. Not looking for an argument about which country has better animal welfare laws. It is just interesting to note that only until yesterday did they decide to finally outlaw cockfighting in Louisinia USA. The argument for not banning it was based on culture (sounds familiar). Interesting. I won’t get into a discussion on the ethics of cockfighting as I have my own views as I am sure you all do. I am pointing this out as when I told some Americans that cock fighting is still legal in some parts of the USA (after they were criticizing animal welfare in Taiwan) and they refused to believe me. Well here is the link
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070627/ap_ … fighting_1

Good job I’m not American then, it was banned in 1835 where I come from. And most forms of hunting are now banned, despite being part of our “culture”

You boys don’t want to hear my stories about this topic… :smiling_imp:

And get off your morally superior ladder laddies.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]You boys don’t want to hear my stories about this topic… :smiling_imp:

And get off your morally superior ladder laddies.[/quote]

Does that mean, you think cock-fighting is OK?

I don’t like any kind of animal fighting organized by people, nor do I like animal sports where animals clearly suffer.

Because you know that modern methods of industrial production of chickens and related products is so humane that cock-fighting looks so horrible.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]You boys don’t want to hear my stories about this topic… :smiling_imp:

And get off your morally superior ladder laddies.[/quote]

yeah I do.
and i wasn’t on a morally superior ladder on this one Cowboy ha ha ha. You should know me better than that by now. I wasn’t slamming cock fighting at all. I was just pointing out that so many westerners slam Taiwan for poor animal rights, so just pointing out some hypocrisy.

Fen -
Gotcha…:wink:

Borders are for people. So are nationalist sensitivities and hypocrisy. Of course there is a stray pet problem in Taiwan. And there’s no denying that the people in charge could do much more to eradicate the problem. Hence the bad reputation. And the dirt on someone else’s clothes is not the soap for yours. Now let’s get on with putting in our little bits of the solution. No matter what our nationality is, or how ‘our backyard’ measures up. What, I can’t say anything about the situation here, if the situation at ‘home’ (this is home!) is not any better? Please…

The game cockfighters are fighting back

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070706/ap_ … ng_lawsuit

I think that in most Asian countries there is a stray problem … in India you even have a stray cow problem … Cock fighting in the Philippines is huge … and I fight my cock every day … euh, just joking

…and with both hands you’ll tell us…:smiley: