Cockroach hunter

Now this is what I was looking for: a solution to all the bugs invading my living room on the ground floor.
Would you let it live in your house? :howyoudoin:

It even has a Facebook fan goup: :laughing:
facebook.com/group.php?gid=144613041958

animals.jrank.org/pages/2545/Cen ā€¦ OUNTS.html

[quote]HOUSE CENTIPEDE (Scutigera coleoptrata): SPECIES ACCOUNTS
Geographic range: This species is native to southern Europe, North Africa, and the Near East.

They are widely distributed in North America and South Africa. Populations with limited distributions have been found in Britain, northern Europe, Australia, Argentina, Uruguay, tropical Africa, and Taiwan.

House centipedes eat insects that are considered to be household pests, such as flies and cockroaches. (Illustration by Barbara Duperron. Reproduced by permission.)
[/quote]

Cute little centipede. Love 'em! Eat all the fly, mosquito, cockroach eggs. If you have them up for adoption, Iā€™ll take a few.

far far nicer than the other centipedes found in Taiwan: Scolopendra species. (And here in Okinawa too). Nasty little fuckers. Actually, not so little: up to 30 cm. Iā€™ve worked with venomous animals of all kinds, snakes, spiders, scorpions, stone fish, cone shells, and no problem. only those mean centipedes scare the shit out of me.

Theyā€™re not actually mean. Theyā€™re just being centipedes. Theyā€™re about the only creature apart from mozzies that I kill without compunction if I find one in the house (two or three times a year, usually. No 30-cm ones, thank fuck, but 10cm isnā€™t uncommon.)

Do they bite or sting?

My cats are excellent cockroach hunters. Only ever seen a few here, and they are usually in pieces when i do find them. Is that centipede big enough and bad enough to take on a cockroach? Iā€™ve also got loads of geckos, but donā€™t mind them at all. I wouldnā€™t want that nasty creature running wild in my place.

they bite, with a pair of modified first legs that act as vicious curved fangs. Most uncomfortable to be bitten, apparently. I have treated a few people with enough antihistamines and benzodiazepines to put them to sleep. Ice packs work OK too for minor cases, but the throb lasts for ages. No lasting effects from most bites but the monster ones in South America have killed people. No-one is yet quite sure just what they have in their venom, but some of the toxins seem to be very unstable proteins (not like venoms from most other animals i mentioned above, where almost all the protein toxins are very stable).

MJBā€™s kid got bit by one a year or two back that had found its way into their car. Horrible. Seen a bloke on Penghu in a clinic waiting room with his whole arm all swole up like a fucking watermelon after he got bit on the finger by one. On Penghu, used to be you could buy a bottle of kaoliang or something that had a big ole pickled centipede in it. You were supposed to rub the bite with the stuff. Old farmerā€™s lore down there. Not unlike Greece, where you could often find little bottles of olive oil with a scorpion drowned in it. You rubbed the sting with the oil and it was supposed to help. Mind you, those blokes also would never sleep in the shade of a cypress because the tree would suck out all your knowledge right outta your brain, so what do THEY know!

These lovely cockroach killers are available for adoption through Animals Taiwan. PM me for details.

they bite, with a pair of modified first legs that act as vicious curved fangs. Most uncomfortable to be bitten, apparently. I have treated a few people with enough antihistamines and benzodiazepines to put them to sleep. Ice packs work OK too for minor cases, but the throb lasts for ages. No lasting effects from most bites but the monster ones in South America have killed people. No-one is yet quite sure just what they have in their venom, but some of the toxins seem to be very unstable proteins (not like venoms from most other animals i mentioned above, where almost all the protein toxins are very stable).[/quote]

Is that the same kind thatā€™s on Youtube (sorry, no access at work) killing a fucking mouse???
I fucking HATE those thingsā€¦

we had those in our house back in IL. my mom used to pick them up with chopsticks and toss them outside haha.

Youā€™re momā€™s cool.

I did see few times the black body and read head ones (Scolopendromorpha?)
but not the house centipede.
The big ones are scary but I could live with the small coleoptrata.

According this website the bites are nasty but not lethal
emedicine.medscape.com/article/769448-overview

Now some people have lots of experience with centipede bites: :astonished:
wemjournal.org/wmsonline/?re ā€¦ &page=0093

[quote=ā€œurodacusā€]far far nicer than the other centipedes found in Taiwan: Scolopendra species. (And here in Okinawa too). Nasty little fuckers. Actually, not so little: up to 30 cm. Iā€™ve worked with venomous animals of all kinds, snakes, spiders, scorpions, stone fish, cone shells, and no problem. only those mean centipedes scare the shit out of me.

[/quote]

As a young man fresh out of university I found myself, as one does, living alone on a large remote mountain in Nara, a few hours drive from the nearest major city, Osaka. Teaching by day, drinking and watching Seinfeld by night I found my mountain existence to be quite ā€˜out there.ā€™ Drunk electricians working on my wiring in the rain, ablutions taken with old men in the public baths in winter when the pipes froze over, returning from vacation to find the local kids had stolen and crashed my car and that I was to pay for the damageā€¦ just a million crazy memories. But seeing that photo brought back a terror that I still think it will be hard to top. Although this isnā€™t exactly a war story, I had barely been in Japan 2 weeks and was still in deep typhoon fuelled culture shock. This was my Vietnamā€¦!
My sofa was a floor adjacent deal and small to boot. My head on one end, my back covering the whole base, and my legs lolling over the other end and onto the floor. In front of me cold sake and beer, slightly above and to the right, the tv video combi and a stack of tapes. A usual night night in I thought. Just me, a billion frogs humping in the wet fields outside, and the cockroaches scuttling about in my kitchen. My home was sat in quite a sweaty little spot and plenty of mini-beasts must have survived many generations before my arrival. This place was not exactly fortress standard and so encroachments of a nature-meets-man-meets-nature scenario had already taken place. From these I had gathered myself quite a false level of confidence. A confidence that was soon to be exposedā€¦ The whole thing lasted about 10 seconds I suppose, and it started with a scratching feeling. I was wearing tracksuit bottoms, the kind with a wide billowing bell shaped base, ankle length socks and no shoes. God knows why I was so sportively dressed that night, but I was. Anyway, suddenly my right leg began to feel very scratchy. My right toes are curling as I write this. The scratching moved quite rapidly up towards my knee and I struck out at my leg with my hand. I hit something solid. The feeling didnā€™t stop moving north. I swung my legs round and used my left leg to hoist myself up. I banged at the new most scratchy area and connected with it heavily. I could feel an intense scrabbling and then something begin to move down my leg. Then it slid and I waited, looking at where my sock met my tracksuit bottom. Then the head of that thing pictured above came out. It was so black and shiny. Then I clocked the legs. Bright red! What the hell was this thing? I think it was about 15- 20 cm long. SO many busy legs. It scuttled out and onto my foot and onto the floor. Then it made a dart for the sofa. There it was, a shocking contrast of black and red, built of what seemed like teflon, bolting from out of my trousers! I couldnā€™t quite believe what had just happened, yet in true outdoor style I now had to compose myself and catch the thing and chuck it into the garden, from whence it had first sidled. With many muted curses, feelings of total eww, and a sense of something monumental having just happened, I made some nimble spasmodic movements to the kitchen for something clear pyrex and a Hello Kitty plate. The thing is of course much smaller than a human when observed trapped, and I afforded myself a small victory breath when I felt brave, but hells bells, when unseen and then first seen decesending from your own trousers, well, you can have a moment right there. The next day I went into school to tell tale of what had passed. ā€œYou very lucky. Centipede can give nasty bite. Hospital!ā€ For quite a while after that I wore my socks pulled tightly up over my jeans when at home, and never again did my legs loll over the edge of the sofa. Who knew what else might be lurking on the floor of my house?

Thanks for the Okinawa story, I think. The stuff of which nightmares are made.

Our cats cornered a centipede (millipede?) like that once in our apartmentā€¦ very similar to the photo, except that the tail and head were similar enough I couldnā€™t be sure which was which. The monster was rearing up and for a second I thought it was some kind of snake. I was really scared that the cats had been bitten, but either they werenā€™t or no ill came of it.

Managed to contain the beast (centipede, not cats) under a 1L plastic container weighed down withā€¦ ohā€¦ more books than was necessary. The next day I slid a piece of paper under it, flipped it, then put the lid on the plastic container - and wasnā€™t sure what to do! We live in an apartment complex, and I wasnā€™t about to dump the thing off the balcony to let someone else deal with it (who knows, maybe thatā€™s how it wound up in our place). And after an unfortunate leech-in-and-back-out-of-the-toilet experience in Indonesia, thereā€™s no way I was going to try flushing it. We wound up putting the plastic container on the balcony for a week or two, then throwing the container in the garbage when the thing stopped moving.

Cats are brilliant for cockroaches: once or twice a year, Iā€™ll find a cockroach leg. And then Iā€™ll look, and itā€™s a bit like Easter, except the prize at the end is a dismembered dead cockroach. My cats look so proud as I gradually gather the body parts.

Once, and once only, has a cat brought a cockroach to us in bed. Unfortunately, this was the very first night she was free in the apartment. It hasnā€™t happened since.

The bite from those red headed fuckers hurts like hellā€¦It was on the door of my truck, crawled up onto my forearm, and the little bastard nailed me as I was trying to flick it off. It was ok for about 5minutesā€¦like a bee sting in a sensitive area. Immediately followed by six hours of excruciating pain.

Ow! But I thought it was your daughter who got it, and so I had sympathy. Only you? Oh for godā€™s sake man, stop being such a BABY!