Cockroaches mating in my room

Hi everyone. I’ve recently had a cockroach problem. I guess because it’s getting warmer?

Last week and this week I have seen two cockroaches mating in my room…on two different occasions. I know you’re what you’re thinking: kill them ASAP! I actually had a shoe in hand but couldn’t bring myself to do it. ><

It’s my fault since I would leave food out. My roommates got on me about leaving food out in the kitchen. Then I made the HUGE mistake of throwing a dish or two in my room when I didn’t have the time to wash it and was running out the door. I also really like hanging out and eating in my room, primarily on my big bed. I sweep every other day or so and wipe down all surfaces about twice a week. Mop every couple weeks. I’ve STOPPED putting dishes in my room but still eat in my room…

I ONLY see the roaches after midnight. Only seen two at once - usually only see one at a time.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Do I get poison? What kind? Where? I have asthma - can the poison be bad to breathe in?? What does it mean for me that this lady cockroach is now pregnant. ><

Thanks for the advice.

There are traps that have some sort of scent that attracts cockroaches, but as soon as they wander inside they get stuck to the floor. Try one of those.

And stop eating in your room. Seriously, just don’t do it. Eat at the dinner table where you can see if there are crumbs or not; you’re probably missing some food bits that fall under the bed or between tiles or something.

Cockroaches aren’t fans of light, so if your room is a mess straighten it up and they won’t have anywhere to hide. But mostly, use traps or starve them. Those are the easiest ways.

(Full disclosure: I do not advocate killing and have always used non-lethal methods to get rid of cockroaches. Yes, I catch them in a box and toss them out the window. It is a waste of time I admit but I like to think they tell their cockroach pals that there’s nothing good to eat in my house but I’m a very nice fellow so they should just leave me be. Although I did totally freak out once when one of the BIG cockroaches started flying around erratically with no intent of landing and I kind of went crazy with cleaning spray all over it… poor guy.)

You’ve gotta toughen up. They’ll eat you alive if you let them! One dead now could mean hundreds less later.

“Contact” works and is basically odorless.

There’s a bait you can buy in a syringe at Carrefoure. It’s the best roach killer I’ve used.

@Jialin:

Hey, I think that you are causing all this. You must have some kind of weird insect sexual magnetism!

see cockroaches mating and do nothing, swim in a sea of baby cockroaches in a couple of weeks.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]You’ve gotta toughen up. They’ll eat you alive if you let them! One dead now could mean hundreds less later.

“Contact” works and is basically odorless.[/quote]

Exactly. One box from Costco: 356 nts
No roaches for summer: priceless

Roach motels seems to be the best choice for those of us with allergies -as roaches generate even more allergies. So the stick on variety -you’ll be grossed out into cleaning after you retrieve the first trap, trust me, you see only two but the ones you do not see… or did not trap… don’t even think about it- are a good choice. Used combines with Contact -carry on poison roach traps- and some cleaning you’ll be fairly safe. Sort of.

worse part about stick on traps… sometimes you only see a couple of legs left sticking on to the trap…

Or you are woken up at night by the cat screaming, with her belly completely stuck to the damn thing. :frowning:

and you were doing what ???

Sleeping. I fred her as soon as I realized what the Hell what going on.

Sleeping. I fred her as soon as I realized what the Hell what going on.[/quote]

With a significant loss of fur, I pressume… Mine are not that bright, they might peek a bit when the struggle inside the box reaches epic proportions, but basically, a roach does not elicit any response from Their Highnesses. It can walk all over them for all they care :fume:

You should take video of Cockroaches mating in your room and put it on YouTube.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
(Full disclosure: I do not advocate killing and have always used non-lethal methods to get rid of cockroaches. Yes, I catch them in a box and toss them out the window. It is a waste of time I admit but I like to think they tell their cockroach pals that there’s nothing good to eat in my house but I’m a very nice fellow so they should just leave me be. Although I did totally freak out once when one of the BIG cockroaches started flying around erratically with no intent of landing and I kind of went crazy with cleaning spray all over it… poor guy.)[/quote]
Interesting. I am quite the opposite. I use a multi-tiered defence, which includes cleanliness; a chemical perimetre on likely routes of ingress; sealing up unused drains; an attack cat named Spooky; roving squads of wolf spiders; and last, but not least, the placing of the heads of fresh kills on toothpicks raised at key strategic points.
So new interlopers can scatter screaming back to their partners in crime, and warn them not to go near that place, as look what that evil Ginger bastard did to the others!
:cry:
I don’t really place heads on small spikes, that would be far too time consuming. The scattering of a few roach corpses or parts outside the garage and the front door usually does the trick. Keeps the spiders in service as well.
:smiling_imp:

Change your clothes in the bathroom. Don’t do anything that might arouse them

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
I don’t really place heads on small spikes, that would be far too time consuming. [/quote]

Also, they like it.

Fixed that for you.

with cockroaches, its squash on sight for me.

I do not think roaches in the US are bigger than your shoe.

Mix some baking soda with sugar and spread a few piles/lines in dark areas or corners. They eat the sugar with the baking soda and it will kill them within a day or two. Very cheap :wink: