Cockroaches

Kay I have a few little Q’s about how I am going to circumnavigate the problem of the infestators. And please, before this turns into a long list our “our most disgusting cockroach anecdotes” please weigh up the funniness of imagining me squirming against the (relative) unfunniness of me rolling around on the floor foaming at the mouth. I really have a phobia. I have travelled but not lived in Asia. I grew up around cockroaches. I understand infestation. My question is what is the most effective cockroach combatant in Taiwan (I’ll be in Taipei). Has anyone ever got their place fumagated? Do you use sticky strips? Please don’t say you just swat them off the corner of your eye from which they are drinking in the middle of the night- I’ll vomit!!

Yes, we use sticky strips. And cleanliness is a good deterent. Would I be right in saying they can’t reach higher floors easily ?

no

other than cleanliness, strategically placing cockroach baits throughout the apartment and periodically changing them…this is what I found to be the most effective…

cats… 2 of them, both rescued off the streets… the average cockroach stupid enough to stray into our house has a life expectancy of about 3 mins… and as a side effect they provide many years of fun and companionship… er… the cats that is… :wink:

I would try to get some of those giant spiders into your appartment. I listened to a story of a fellow forumosan, who was just going to kill a cockroach running over his living room floor, when a spider beat him to it, and took it’s pray successfully back to where it came from.

Question is, do you prefer spiders over roaches? They seem to be effective combatant for cockroaches.

wORKS FOR ME TOO, cats are great for so many reasons

Cleanliness! Cleanliness! Cleanliness! Also, I regularly “Tomcat” (draincleaner) ALL the drains in my apartment. This seems to keep them away. Just be very careful if you have plastic pipes, not to leave the Tomcat in too long. It will eat right through your pipes! I leave mine in for 3 to 5 minutes and then chase it down with lots of boiling water. I do this once a week.

This does the trick for me. I’ve never tried roach bait.

Yep, keep the place clean. And dry by running the air-con or a dehumidifier. If you are worried about them crawling into your bed consider using a mosquito net.

[quote=“grootkrokodil”]Cleanliness! Cleanliness! Cleanliness! Also, I regularly “Tomcat” (draincleaner) ALL the drains in my apartment. This seems to keep them away. Just be very careful if you have plastic pipes, not to leave the Tomcat in too long. It will eat right through your pipes! I leave mine in for 3 to 5 minutes and then chase it down with lots of boiling water. I do this once a week.

This does the trick for me. I’ve never tried roach bait.[/quote]

I do this as well, though only about every 2 weeks. I aslo cover up the drains whenever possible, spray outside regularly, and leave the Raid bait in strategic locations.

I have never seen a roach in our current apartment. I’m not sure why, we’re clean, but not that clean, the apartment is newish, but not that new and I’m not fussy about cleaning the drains. We’re on the fourth floor.

Maybe it’s luck of the draw?

Anyway, to the OP, maybe you won’t even have any.

Awesome… thankyou thankyou thankyou- that is exactly what I needed and not a “and then I awoke to find only the bottom half attached to my lip” story to be found!! Can you get Mosquito nets easily in Taiwan?

I see mosquito nets being sold at Ikea…I’m sure they sell it at a lot of other places too…you should also get a little electric mosquito racket…after you have the mosquito net all setup at night, you can run the mosquito racket inside to kill off any strays that got into the net…this is my routine before going to sleep…

I live here for 10 months now. NEVER saw 1 roach in the kitchen, never found the little pooh-pooh things they drop untill…
I spotted a few on the 3rd floor bedroom a few weeks ago. Fact:
The room is completely EMPTY . Nothing to eat , no cosy bed (in fact what doe they eat here in taiwan?) and they are THERE! Used the white powder (no dipshits, NO COKE) and it seems they are gone. Moved to better :smiling_imp:

I had one of them thare sonic ray generators that I’d plug in. The ants and bugs would leave after a while, but it was never 100% effective. Keep all sinks and floors DRY. Newer houses are better sure. Older house? Get a cat.

Which reminds me of changing my baits. I believe to have found the most effective ones and am trying to find the again…

“O.K. 甲由片COCKROACH KILLER” works best for me so far

Get the big “Raid!” cockroach traps. The come in packages of 6 and you can get them in Welcome. They aren’t exactly traps but the cockroach takes some of the bait from them, goes back home and speads it to his family. :smiling_imp:

Also. The RAID! in the red can does basically the same thing. i think they have made an updated version of it which is now in a gold can.

Before you move into a house put down the traps. Empty a can of RAID! into every nook and cranny. Including drains. That is the place they usually come from. Close all windows. Wait two days.

Then go back to your new place and clean the crap put of it and open all the windows. Move in the next day.

I’ve done this a couple of times and it works.

THNAKS HEAPS!! I am off to get me universal plugs, a misquito net, some of dem giant spiders and sucking up to a neighbour with a cat to borrow as soon as I land!!

As mentioned, the cat is a usefull bug-killer:

[quote=“stralle”]As mentioned, the cat is a usefull bug-killer:

[/quote]

Nice shots. Do cats actually eat 'em, or just toss them about, much like killer whales would a seal. Let a few go, do they?

Just curious, :slight_smile: