Coffee Bean Recommendations

Any recommendations on nice coffee beans in Taipei for a filter/espresso drinker?

I just put in a delivery order to Orsir, I fished that out of some crusty old thread on this forum as recommended there, thanks @SlowRain, I will see how that goes.

I tried some Cama takeaway beans, they were terribly smokey. I think their small batch roasting set up by junior lackeys in the shop is a bit hit and miss. Louisa’s tastes staler than my Lavazza from the supermarket.

Is any of the supermarket stuff any good? Obviously it is not fresh, but I am flexible. I noticed UCC ‘Charcoal coffee’ (not the most enticing description to my palate), has anyone tried this?

Plumbing the depths a bit, just trying to find something up my alley, any one with any opinions please come forth!

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

coffee beans - I buy at px mart

1 Like

For everyday coffee (and I drink a lot of it), I like the Costco Kirkland brand Columbian - medium roast beans. Dark roasting is usually for the lesser quality beans.

I miss Kona coffee very much. I like the American light roast or the brown and tan. https://www.mountainthunder.com/catalog/100-kona-coffee

2 Likes

Previously did try Columbian kirkland at costco but I need to finish first this beans at PX then I will shift to columbian.

Did also try the coffee bean light roasted tan no idea what brand but the taste was so light and it was bit expensive.

1 Like

Will that mob deliver Kona to Taiwan? I’m happy to import and split bags of this stuff up for any takers if I can get something good…

I wonder if we can get a good price on a larger order?

ouch, I just put in a false order, $71 shipping, that is outrageous! It seems USPS is even worse than Australia Post, I didn’t think that was possible.

Bulletproof coffee.

Yikes! That is why I carried a suitcase back full of coffee when I went there.

1 Like

https://www.chanchao.com.tw/coffee/en/

Get geisha from Panama.

Organic from Nicaragua

Anything this year from Honduras

1 Like

Thanks @Icon, although it is the last day of this today, ending in a couple of hours! Did I miss out ?

Yep but local aales still go on.

May be my ineptness but can’t really see any links on there to buy anything. Just a thousand links to nowhere useful, typical Taiwan website UX.

I buy either from Costco or Partner Coffee, a two-branch “chain” in Danshui. I believe many neighborhoods have a local place that sells recently roasted beans - there are at least three or four with easy walking distance of my place.

See also the below; the last on the list was just a couple of months ago:

1 Like

Stay away from any of the supermarket stuff. It’s usually burnt/smokey and stale. Stay away from the franchises for the same reasons. And, even if it’s not burnt, it’s likely still stale. Use Google Maps and search on “coffee” near your home or workplace. Look to see if they’re large chains/franchises (avoid) or independents (consider). Go there and have a cup of something you know you like. Ask for the barista’s assistance in choosing. If the coffee is good, buy a bag. If not, find another place and do the same.

I’m not familiar with Taipei, but you could consider Fika Fika as a starting place.

1 Like

Thanks @SlowRain, I have more or less already done what you have said with a lot of places in my local area. I wouldn’t say every place, but I am beginning to lose patience with cafes that look every bit chic and indie, then the coffee is ordinary! Most I’ve visited can’t even prepare a Long black/Americano. Water first, shot second being the correct preparation, most baristas here put the shot in first and blast all the oil away with hot water (from the machine!).

Anyway I’m starting to rant. Thanks for the recommendation I will duly look into.

1 Like

Taipei should have a lot of good roasters. The World Barista Championship winner from 2016 was from Taipei.

Here’s a link to Sprudge: https://sprudge.com/taipei-taiwan-coffee-guide-129706.html

1 Like

There you go, the CCD is a Taiwanese invention, I never knew that!

1 Like

I’m a regular coffee drinker, but . . . what’s the opposite of a coffee snob/ connoisseur? That’s me. Anyway, I like milk coffee and add a teaspoon of sugar, so maybe the quality of the bean is less important to me.
$43 per pound (NT$1300) for Kona coffee (before shipping) is way beyond me, but I understand that some of you know and appreciate the difference.
Best bang for My buck is the frequent deal they have at Chuenlien supermarkets. It’s NT$212 a pound, but they often have buy-one-get-one free deals. So, it’s NT$106 per pound.
Yea, . . . this is the supermarket stuff that SlowRain warned you about. I grind the beans myself, and run it through our cheap coffee machine. My wife and I like it just fine.

3 Likes

Kona coffee is expensive because Hawaii has a high cost of living, not because it’s of a super high quality. Same with Taiwanese coffee. Both can be OK-to-good, but they’re mainly for locals or tourists.