Coffee Bean Recommendations

This one is new:

http://www.plusone.com.tw/

They also have ready bottled stuff.

Screenshot_20181120-070150

1 Like

Iā€™ve been drinking the Ikea Medium roast, which for 200NT for 500g is a pretty damn good deal

I saw that recently in the Taipei branch and almost bought some to tryā€¦until I saw that its production/packing date was like January 2019, so I was skeptical that itā€™d be that great over 11 months after roasting. :worried:

1 Like

Itā€™s not great. I only drink fresh roast coffee I guess Iā€™m a snob now.

1 Like

checks date on package in cabinetā€¦december 2018 - oh boy

It still tastes pretty good. I guess vacuum sealing works haha

1 Like

I usually buy from Oklao on Boā€™ai Rd. Some of their varieties can be pretty pricey, but the two I normally get (Italian Roast and whatever the medium/medium dark roast is called) are 300 TWD for 450g and buy two get one free, so 200 TWD per pack total.

So itā€™s actually comparable to the IKEA ones (which I remembered as cheaper actually - around 100 TWD, but Iā€™m probably wrong). I usually buy the beans and grind them at home, but they can also do them in the shop of course. Have been going there for several years now, no complaints. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can recommend the Mr Brown coffee beans in terms of value for price. On sale, they are buy-one-get-one which means $360 for 880g. I like them more than the Costco beans which taste too ā€œburnedā€ for my taste. Iā€™m using a fully automatic coffee machine to prepare them.

3 Likes

When they have those buy one get one deals, definitely good value.

It sounds like you want to be sure you get beans with a medium roast or less.

Damn. Was about to suggest some, and saw the above post. I like my coffee to taste like roasted breadā€¦probably not what youre after. If you like the mild roasts, taiwan is all about sour half roasted beans, super high in caffeine. The stuff here is borderline narcotic i feel. But i find taiwanese ones to have too many middle.men and quite expensive, so i tend not to bother anymore. Not into stories and with covid, atmosphere isnt a thing currently either haha.

So this is the month of Central American coffee promotion. Lots of good offers from your favorite coffee distributors, from Mr. Brown to OKLao.

https://www.trade.gov.tw/Pages/Detail.aspx?nodeID=39&pid=727336

Partners and discount coupons.

6 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Guy

1 Like

Yes, yes, drink it, drink more coffee, you know you like it, best coffee yes, must try all, locally roasted, support small enterprises, buahaha!

1 Like

Would be even more persuasive if you had tried a particular blend or origin and could recommend one on this basis. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have given my recommendations before. As always, I encourage you to try different kinds. Each year, the yield is different. Professional roasting in Taiwan takes it to a different level.

Iā€™ve never found one I liked with the light roasts I prefer, tends towards sour. Iā€™m more of an Africa guy

1 Like

The sour ones are just proof of the Taiwanese junky in people. They love their stimulants. I am no fan of the light roasts either, they make a person high, not awake.

Oh, how many cups you have this morning?

You just need to build up your tolerance. Drink more coffee.

1 Like

Pass. Just need to buy properly burnt beans :slight_smile:

I buy a big olā€™ bag of Lƶfbergs from RT Mart (å¤§ę½¤ē™¼). The first time I came to Taiwan was from Sweden, where I drank a bunch of the stuff all the time, because my friend came from the tiny backwater town that the roaster was established in. I came to Taiwan on a whim, and a couple days after I got here I went to buy groceries at the RT Mart, low and behold there was this boutique coffee little known outside of Scandinavia. I took it as a sign, and have stayed here ever since.

7 Likes