Coffee Trucks on the Five Finger Mountain in Neihu

Meant to post this earlier and have been there a few times this summer. The five finger Mountain in Neihu is a great place Saturdays and Sundays. Take the Road from the Tahu Park and go all the way up where the old FM Antenna is. There are great places for Barbecue and on top there is one place that is really fantastic. They have converted a hill in to a very nice outside seating area with umbrellas, comfortable chairs and plently of space for kids to play. Also great if you have a dog. They serve about the same variety of coffee and Tea (hot and cold) as downtown Taipei coffee shops. Not much food and no alcohol available on the hill. Those coffee truck shops usually stay open till 10pm if the weather is good. Good programe is to have Pizzas for lunch at Alleycats and ask Mr. or Mrs. Alleycat for directions on how to get up there. If you plan to go to Shilin from there, make sure you have someone with you that reads Chinese, no English Road signs and it is easy to end up in in Yeliou instead of Shilin. Up there, you can also see the most spectacular big bikes as it is a very popular mountain ride among bikers.

Helens was the first up there some 6 years ago, but once they started making money the local ‘business people’ muscled in. They have forced Helens down the mountian and away from the great viewthey commanded for years.

Was so lovely up there, soft jazz, great coffee and waffles, views to die for. Then the cho dofu crew moved in, stray dogs soon followed… :frowning:

[quote=“AWOL”]Helens was the first up there some 6 years ago, but once they started making money the local ‘business people’ muscled in. They have forced Helens down the mountian and away from the great viewthey commanded for years.

Was so lovely up there, soft jazz, great coffee and waffles, views to die for. Then the cho dofu crew moved in, stray dogs soon followed… :frowning:[/quote]

See my thread on Maokong tea houses. Cat Got Nothing to Do Cafe sounds like Helens. And it’s 5 minutes from your house. Only the coffee is just okay. Go to the Green Wood House for better coffee. Stunning view too.

you owe me a free tour guide makong tea house trip! :slight_smile:

:blush: I know. Sorry, I’ve not been able to do so yet.

Up there are mostly coffee trucks, the place I spoke about do indeed sell waffles (they call them pan cakes). Opposite the street is the local think tank business with sausages that turne a million time in their short lifes but even those stands look fairly clean. There are some stray dogs like on any mountain but very few. Anyway, great place up there!

Helens is still here. On the left as you enter Evergreen Community.

TC is right about the coffee trucks. Great way to watch the sun set now that it’s not so humid. Although mind you, we’ve been up here since July and have not needed aircon, so anytime of the year’s good for the the coffee thing.

So you mightt get an invite on your way up the mountain!

[quote]Helens was the first up there some 6 years ago, but once they started making money the local ‘business people’ muscled in. They have forced Helens down the mountian and away from the great viewthey commanded for years.

Was so lovely up there, soft jazz, great coffee and waffles, views to die for. Then the cho dofu crew moved in, stray dogs soon followed… [/quote]

I think you might have that arseabout AWOL. The CHODOFU scene has been there for as long as I have been in Taiwan, 12 years, and before that.

Helen’s had a good position, but it is actually better up there these days since they booted Helen’s, because the government (well within their rights) have redeveloped the site to make sure the seating is better etc. and charge rents rather than fining the sellers there every day.

hmmm, well i will be up there this weekend riding so will see how it compares to last time.

i cant imagine booting helens would make the place better…