Cold buildings in Taiwan, not cold in Korea

Taiwan Building Regulations seem to be 20 years behind most developed countries.
Concrete is fine , but it can be insulated , with air circulation in cavities and made far more habitable. UPVC windows should be used but… just haven’t caught on because…errr…no damned reason , sigh

3 Likes

Exactly. Nothing wrong with concrete. But like any technology, there’s a wrong way and a right way to use it. Taiwan simply hasn’t bothered with the right way, principally because they’ve been able to use lots of (subsidized) energy to make the problem go away. It’s an interesting example of how government subsidies can cause all sorts of undesirable and unintended side effects.

Any of you guys who live in one of the “modern” communities - your building maintenance bill probably includes a big chunk for electricity. Because bad design.

2 Likes

That’s like saying there’s becoming a need for AC in the summer with people dying under heat wave in Europe every year. It’s probably true, but lots of people still don’t have AC at home.

Older schools designs can be poor here, kids overheat half the year.

1 Like

Dumbass comparison. You could easily buy a fan to deal with the few days of heat that may be too uncomfortable per year. When i was in england i had one, i had to use it a few times. Problem easily solved. People just prefer to complain than buy an inexpensive fan that will solve the problem immediately.

The cold here is legit. I’m from a much colder country than taiwan and the winters are not as uncomfortable as they are here.

But surely, fans would’ve saved them. All 70,000 of them.

The cold days here don’t last more than two or three days per year. Don’t be ridiculous. Of course your winters in England would be comfortable every house has central heating.

mate i’m talking about england.

you do realise Europe is a continent with Scandinavia at the top and the Mediterranean at the bottom? the temperatures are massively different between them.

and yea mr smart arse that was my point. its comfortable because we have heating and old people don’t need to freeze to death. winter is more than two or three days. in taipei at least, maybe you live in Kaohsiung or something.

1 Like

Ok. 4 to 5 days. Big difference. :roll:

And I was comparing to Europe in general, not just England. You are the one who brought up England. The truth is in Europe many people die from heat waves but they still don’t have AC. Why? Because the hot days only last a few days at most. Expecting every household in Taiwan to have central heating is like expecting every household in Europe to have AC. It’s dumb.

You do know it only takes 24 hours to freeze to death, right? (Plus that 4-5 day guesstimate is just stuff you made up on the fly so it’s meaningless anyway)

In Kaohsiung (where I am), I don’t think lack of heating is a problem. But I can understand the need in Taipei.

2 Likes

A lot of old folks die in Taiwan during winter. You literally see old folks massacres where every village will have the funeral tents out in Jan and Feb. The blood thickens and they get strokes and coronaries and die.

2 Likes

well i’m sorry but you can’t compare taiwan to europe in general. in the north part theres snow everywhere and in the south its hot. as i’ve already said.

The difference on temperature between Taipei and Kaohsiung is negligible. When a cold wave hits it’s only really cold for one or two days at most.

And the 4-5 days wasn’t made up. On average there are only 6.4 cold days per year since 1987.

They probably would’ve died anyway without the cold. Besides, like I said, people die from heat waves elsewhere as well, which you barely see here. I guess they only have funerals in those places, not the tent.

Why not? You people draw that comparison all the time here. Europe this America that. Is it only suitable when it’s convenient for you?

More old folks die when a cold wave hits here. Fact.

3 Likes

what comparison? even china has heating in the north and the south doesn’t. location makes a difference believe it or not…

1 Like

Fact according to whom?
Summer heatwave may explain surge in deaths in England and Wales

Recent heatwave killed 700 people in France

Name one occasion in which a cold wave killed more than 100 here. I didn’t even need to fine examples of Italy and Spain.

And Taiwan is now in the north?

Twenty or thirty deaths isn’t enough? It has to break triple digits to matter? I really don’t know what you’re trying to prove here. Old people die in the cold. Ergo, old people die in cold, unheated homes. In northern Taiwan, some old, uninsulated buildings get cold enough in the winter that it becomes a public safety risk. And whether that’s a dozen people or a hundred, avoidable losses are still a tragedy to the families that are affected by the deaths of their loved ones. But please, keep arguing on the pro side of old people freezing to death. This is going great, just like every time you’re too stubborn to admit the other side has a point.

Who’s trying to argue that there’s a pro side to old people freezing to death? I’m simply saying that it’s UNREASONABLE to expect every household to install heating BECAUSE IT ONLY GETS COLD FOR A FEW DAYS EVERY YEAR. Like how many households in various countries in Europe don’t have AC despite the heat waves and old people dying from heat stroke every year.

You are the ones who’re trying to argue otherwise, pulling out lies out of your asses with claims like you only need a fan in Europe or cold waves kill more here than heat waves do in Europe.

Maybe 6.4 days outside. Inside here in Hsinchu we’ve probably had ~45 days of weather cold enough that I wear long pants, socks, and a sweater indoors - sometimes a cap, too.

Reason is the air temp inside is not much different than outside. High humidity exacerbates the cold. Modern a/c units can be switched over to room heaters. That is a trend, and a welcome one if you ask me. That trend is being fed by need, not fad.

1 Like

Taipei Medical University Director of Critical Care Medicine Kao Wei-feng (高偉峰) told Apple Daily said that 95 percent of sudden deaths brought on by cold weather are related to heart ailments. Cold temperatures increase the possibility of high blood pressure, myocardial infarction, and heart failure. Kao advised those at risk individuals experiencing unusual chest tightness, chest pain or upper abdominal pain to seek immediate medical attention.

2017 150 Deaths linked to cold

One of my elderly in-laws passed during a cold wave. Her circulation was poor already and it basically killed her (no heating in the house ). I saw a documentary about a rural doctor here . He actively advised the maids not to place their elderly patients close to windows. The draught through the window can kill them.

2 Likes