Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream coming to Taiwan!

Is this a good thing? I’ve never heard of them, but their website looks good. Anyway, more ice cream options can only be a good thing, right? :lick:

Fad. Like Mister Donut. Massive queues until the novelty wears off, then they’ll have to find a way to market their “custom mixing” schtick in a paper tub and sell it out of 7-11. That’ll be a problem, I’m guessing, since the cachet seems to be all about going to their store and having it made for you on their fancy frozen stone.

I worked for the very first coldstone and knew the owner personally, back in my Uni days.

The icecream is really good. My favorite is the Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream with the macadamia nut and warm brownie mix in. My mouth is watering already. Good stuff. But very very expensive. Back in the states you pay about $10 for one waffle cone with 2 mix ins of your choice. The good thing though is that the waffle cones are made fresh when you order, they are huge, and they pack them full of the icecream, from top to bottom.

I just tried it last week in Tempe, Arizona. It was good. Oddly enough, the thinnest girls I saw in Tempe were in the ice cream store… :s

[quote=“Quarters”]I worked for the very first coldstone and knew the owner personally, back in my Uni days.

The icecream is really good. My favorite is the Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream with the macadamia nut and warm brownie mix in. My mouth is watering already. Good stuff. But very very expensive. Back in the states you pay about $10 for one waffle cone with 2 mix ins of your choice. The good thing though is that the waffle cones are made fresh when you order, they are huge, and they pack them full of the icecream, from top to bottom.[/quote]

If they have black licorice I am there. No one even knows what that is here. No one even knows how to tell me what it is in Chinese? :s

Cold Stone Creamery ice cream is THE best!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I LOVE IT!

They mix it right in front of you while singing some silly songs. The mixings are really fresh and sweet. The cream is really cold and creamy. The serving size is HUGE! And the cones are baked fresh in the store, so you can smell them in the oven while you wait.

But…

It is SUPER EXPENSIVE.

My advice, get one scoop in a cup and share with a friend. Trust me, it will be more than enough for the both of you.

My favorite: strawberry cheesecake.

[quote=“Persephone”]Cold Stone Creamery ice cream is THE best!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I LOVE IT!

They mix it right in front of you while singing some silly songs. The mixings are really fresh and sweet. The cream is really cold and creamy. The serving size is HUGE! And the cones are baked fresh in the store, so you can smell them in the oven while you wait.

But…

It is SUPER EXPENSIVE.

My advice, get one scoop in a cup and share with a friend. Trust me, it will be more than enough for the both of you.

My favorite: strawberry cheesecake.[/quote]

Now you have an excuse to come back to Taipei :smiley:

I went ONCE. I ordered a strawberry shortcake. They made it and gave it to me without strawberries. I said “My strawberry shortcake has no strawberries” they said “We are out” I said “Why didn’t you tell me that when I ordered it” They said “I forgot” I said “then why didn’t you tell me when you noticed” She said “You already paid for it” I said “I know. I want my money back” She said “But we already made it”
I think my brain exploded.

Yep. Launch a new ice cream business in Taiwan just before the freezing winter months.

“Cold Stone Creamery’s ice cream is delicious, and they’re famous for creating a happy atmosphere in the store. We’re very happy to introduce this brand and hope to open the first outlets in Taipei and Shanghai by next April.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t that where they sing if you put a tip in their jar?

There was one ice cream store in Warner Village area using the cold-stone technique. Couple of hawaiian-BC who opened it. Unfortunately they closed.

It’ll take massive investment for it to float. I think Haagen Dazs and Movenpick have got this market cornered.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]There was one ice cream store in Warner Village area using the cold-stone technique. Couple of hawaiian-BC who opened it. Unfortunately they closed.

It’ll take massive investment for it to float. I think Haagen Dazs and Movenpick have got this market cornered.[/quote]

It seems that people here aren’t really into big pieces of nuts, cookies and candy mixed into their ice cream. Maybe they’ll have raspberry pannacotta to mix in? Maybe it will go the way of Subber and become Frozen Stone or something.

I am not sure if the food preparation standards on this island are hygienically ready for an open-air, ice cream assembly line. Imagine how moldy and gross all those jars of nuts, marshmallows, etc., will become. I find enough hair and shit in my food here as it is. Don’t need it in my ice cream, thanks.

“Cold Stone Creamery’s ice cream is delicious, and they’re famous for creating a happy atmosphere in the store. We’re very happy to introduce this brand and hope to open the first outlets in Taipei and Shanghai by next April.” :p[/quote]

Okay April is perfect. I hope they’re not expensive.

[quote=“Red Frog”]Okay April is perfect. I hope they’re not expensive.[/quote] If it’s ten bucks a pop in the US, it’ll be 30 bucks here probably.

Muzha Man, this a very roundabout method, but if you really want to know what liqurish is in Chinese, go to Ikea and buy some of the Swedish kinds. They have both sorts – salty and sweet – and there’ll be that stick-on label on the back with the Chinese labelling information. Gan tsao is how you say it. Tsao as in “grass.” Don’t know what kind of “gan” it is.
They really make icecream out of that? Sounds kind of nasty.

[quote=“sandman”]Muzha Man, this a very roundabout method, but if you really want to know what liqurish is in Chinese, go to Ikea and buy some of the Swedish kinds. They have both sorts – salty and sweet – and there’ll be that stick-on label on the back with the Chinese labelling information. Gan tsao is how you say it. Tsao as in “grass.” Don’t know what kind of “gan” it is.
They really make icecream out of that? Sounds kind of nasty.[/quote]

Its the sugar cane ‘gan’. 甘

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Red Frog”]Okay April is perfect. I hope they’re not expensive.[/quote] If it’s ten bucks a pop in the US, it’ll be 30 bucks here probably.

Muzha Man, this a very roundabout method, but if you really want to know what liqurish is in Chinese, go to Ikea and buy some of the Swedish kinds. They have both sorts – salty and sweet – and there’ll be that stick-on label on the back with the Chinese labelling information. Gan tsao is how you say it. Tsao as in “grass.” Don’t know what kind of “gan” it is.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. But real licorice ice cream back home is delicious.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“Red Frog”]Okay April is perfect. I hope they’re not expensive.[/quote] If it’s ten bucks a pop in the US, it’ll be 30 bucks here probably.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try. But real licorice ice cream back home is delicious.[/quote]
This I refuse to accept. I’m passionately fond of all things lickrishy or aniseedy or fivespicy – whips, sherbet dip-dabs, pastis, absinthe, sambucca, etc. But icecream? ICECREAM? You’re a weird one and no mistake, Mucha Man. :wink:

Actually, I’d love to try it – with a generous shot of pastis poured over it.

We called it Tiger Tail - orange ice cream with black swirls of licorice.

Anyway… it wasn’t anywhere near US$ 10 for what I had last week at one of these joints. And it was a very large serving… couldn’t finish it.