Colleagues poking around with computer - netsetup.exe

The item A:\Netsetup.exe has appeared on the list of “run” commands on my office computer, i.e. someone has run this program off a floppy disk on my computer over the weekend. I can’t find any sign of any change on my computer, and there seem to be loads of different programs with a “netsetup.exe”. I am not very happy about having people fiddling with my computer. Any ideas what that program might be? p.s. My operating system is MS Windows 98.

Well, I should have asked first. Seems it had something to do with setting up network printers. Still, I think they should have the courtesy to ask before fiddling with someone else’s computer. We all know how fragile these operating systems are. And I can’t help wondering why, when I am in the office 5 days a week, they have to come and do their fiddling on a Sunday. I find it unsettling, and being unsettled is not good for one’s work efficiency.

Does anyone have similar experiences of computer invasion?

Does your company have a Sysadmin? If so, he was just doing his job. And if it’s at a company, it’s NOT your computer. It’s the company’s and they can do anything, anytime they want.

That said, I used to work at a company out in Hsichih where the Sysadmin was a complete idiot. I never knew what was going to happen when I booted up Monday morning. Look at it this way, “It’s not a job, it’s an adventure!” :laughing:

No. When the secretary/bookkeeper wants to sort out computer problems, she calls in her husband, who used to be a sales executive at our company. This is the Taibei branch office. The sec/bookie is the niece of the boss in Taizhong, and she thinks she’s the boss around here by virtue of family ties.

Oh, and they brought their 3/4-year-old kids in and the kids scribbled on the wall because they couldn’t reach up to the whiteboard - second time that’s happened.

sdag

[quote=“Juba”]And I can’t help wondering why, when I am in the office 5 days a week, they have to come and do their fiddling on a Sunday. I find it unsettling, and being unsettled is not good for one’s work efficiency.
[/quote]

They want their money’s worth out of you.

No. When the secretary/bookkeeper wants to sort out computer problems, she calls in her husband, who used to be a sales executive at our company. This is the Taibei branch office. The sec/bookie is the niece (or something) of the boss in Taizhong, and she thinks she’s the boss around here by virtue of family ties.[/quote]

Eeeeek! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. You have my sympathy.

Because they’ve long since got tired of being reamed out by employees who are “far too busy” to just drop everything and hang around for half an hour while they tweak their system, of course – d’you think they come in on a Sunday for fun? Also, as far as they’re concerned, its absolutely none of your damn business what they do to their computers.

Two things…

When else can the pc get maintained if you are using it all the time during the week?

Enternet 300 has an application called that. It could be DSL service program.

Kenneth

got to watch out for the Internet monitoring software or keylogging software. Bosses may want to keep an eye on what you do on your computer.

While that might be the case, Juba’s description of the environment does not sound like they are sophisticated enough to monitor this without being noticed. If they were, they wouldn’t leave traces larger than an elephant could do.
I also have heavy doubts that someone had to do some “maintenance” on that computer. According to what Juba wrote the only “maintenance” at that place should be to re-install Windows98 (or maybe even XP now) as soon as a problem occurs that nobody can solve. (For many people, re-installation seems to be a standard procedure to solve a Windows problem.) Even in a company with somehow “normal” IT management, “maintenance” can and will be done over night, after people have left - and not on a Sunday.
I guess that the “management” had the children or other visitors there again and because they (well, somehow) are running the place, the computers are theirs and they can let all their friends play with them, get onto the net, chat with people, catch a virus, ruin all the data. After all, it’s their computer and Juba is their employee that will be held responsible if some data are gone… :?