Colloquial English

I spoke to me mum, she uses some funny english, boy howdy. Here are two classics:

Your father is roaring like a drain.
The windows have hurred up.

Further classics please…

Thats not ‘English’…thats British.

Wrong, it’s VERY English, or should I say “English English”, if you know what I mean. In fact, it’s not even English English, but rather whatever-town-Tom-Hill-comes-from English.

By calling it British, you’re really heading in the wrong direction (though I know what you meant).

‘Britain, Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth Friggin’ Colloquial Gibberish’ english. :laughing:

and that rhyming slangy crap is ridiculous. makes them sound like a punch-adled drunkard. or maybe thats the intended affectation.

That’s better! :stuck_out_tongue:

No, we’re just all drunk (at least in N.Ireland). Didn’t realise we rhymed though.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]

and that rhyming slangy crap is ridiculous. makes them sound like a punch-adled drunkard. or maybe thats the intended affectation.[/quote] You’re 86ed.

some Vermont hua4 for you. First a greeting and response:

“(what) cha doin’, buck/mister?”
“Good, you?”

This time of year, a more appropriate greeting would be simply:

“(did you) Get yer deer yet?”

when you don’t know the answer to a question, say:

"Hard tellin’ not knowin’ "

or if someone asks “how’s the weather, too hot?” say:

“Startin’ to get used of it now, mister, but it’s still Christly hot, by Geezum: hot enough to breed sheep/hotter than a two-dicked billygoat/hotter than a half-f***ed fox in a forest fire, I’ll tell you that for free, mister bubbie.”

If someone says “nice weather, huh?”, say:

“a-yuh, and we’re going to pay for it, too.”

When they ask where the road goes to, say:

“It don’t go nowhere, it stays right here”, or "hard tellin’…"etc.

when someone asks “Have you lived in Vermont your whole life?” say:

“Not yet”

Anyone from out of state is a “flatlander” even if they are from Nepal, or just a “goddamned foreigner” even if they’re from Massachusetts or New Jersey… especially so, in fact. As the bumper sticker says:

“Welcome to Vermont, now go home.”

If someone’s mother was from out of state and they were born in Vermont, they’re not a Vermonter. Reason with them thusly:

“If your cat had kittens in the oven, you wouldn’t call’em biscuits would ya? You gotta have four generations in the ground 'fore we call you that.”

Geezum Crow! got to quit now, seein’ as I’m all outta idears.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]‘Britain, Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth Friggin’ Colloquial Gibberish’ English. :laughing:

and that rhyming slangy crap is ridiculous. makes them sound like a punch-adled drunkard. or maybe thats the intended affectation.[/quote]

I had a gander at your scrawlings mucker. Had to take of my turtles and scratch my gregory for a mo.

The correct reply in New English would be…

“hard ‘tellin’ not knowin’” or if over the VHF “What the fuck?, over.”

Selected samples/phrases of Pittsburghese:

That Pittsburghese looks like some weird corrupted Irish.

HG

You just don’t understand English culture!!!

I don’t understand English culture, and " avin’ a butcher’s" at what Tom wrote won’t help me. I don’t know “f***-all” about it and I could live there for “donkey’s years”, but I still wouldn’t understand it. However, I do understand that my mate Paul from Colchester always refers to himself as being “English”… always.

Bludgeon me for this, but could it be that the rhyming slang developed to keep the upper classes from knowing what the lower classes were on about?

It was devised by street criminals so the cops wouldn’t know what they were on about.

When can I bludgeon you, and can I do it with a blunt weapon?

TomHill, IrishStu - Thank You Gents… :bravo:
plotch - The Vermont vernacular is a world of its own…and they aim to keep it that way… :bravo:

Match_Stick - I been 86’d outta better and worse places…but I’m all better now…:sunglasses:

Oh…sorry for you POME’s…I neglected to inclu Wales and Scotland in my post…even though they are FREE COUNTRIES!.. :smiling_imp:

I should start a thread on HillBilly and Texas talk. But even if you paint lips on a pig it don’t mean you wanna dance with it. :wink:

Oh, no…they weren’t totally free. We had to buy swords and cannons and stuff so we could actually take them.

Fuckaff! See if ah hud the collies? Ah’d be ower the offie fur a swally the noo ‘n’ahd no be efter haein’ tae jalouse yur SHITE!

DM,
Choose your virtual weapon and flail away, mate.

I feel like I’m watching “Trainspotting” all over again. Sandman, you’re not related to Spud, are you?

Amazingly (after only living in Edinburgh for 17 years, on and off) I actually understood that.

Sandman:
can you provide us “septics” with some subtitles, or do we have to wait until Burns night for a translation?