Coming back to Taipei or going to Shanghai

I had a similar question. You can look at some people’s input

1 Like

This.
If money is your priority then go to Shanghai, otherwise Taipei is a better option in my opinion. 81k per month is very good especially when you are single.

Did you not see the part where I wrote “personally”?

I think it’s ok most of the time. The truth is there has barely been any particularly hazy day in Taipei recently and it’s winter. I can’t control how you feel and frankly, nor do I care.

8 K rmb for housing, where will that put you?

In Shanghai? In a shit hole or some place in the far-out bumfuck-Egypt suburbs.

2 Likes

you can see the places advertised for rent for 5-8,000 in Huangpu (thats the most central district) here:

https://sh.58.com/huangpu/zufang/b14/?PGTID=0d300008-0058-3e79-f9e1-1fabe9ea74e6&ClickID=6

For example this 129 square meter modern three bed advertised for 7,500

https://sh.58.com/zufang/36448840025247x.shtml?from=1-list-8&iuType=j_2&PGTID=0d300008-0057-7c1c-9339-d75260f28966&ClickID=8

located in an elevator building by peoples square:

2 Likes

That’s right you shouldn’t care how another feels nor base what you think pollution levels are on what you feel they are perhaps use some facts!

There’s no need to exclamation mark anyone.

I think it’s fine based on two facts:

1. I hardly ever feel like coughing or sneezing or have red eyes in Taipei. Visibly it’s usually clear enough except when it’s raining.

2. The average PM 2.5 level is <20 for the past year in Taipei. It even got down to <15 for the past few months.

Housing is better there in SH… I looked online and for a budget of $20k in Taipei there aren’t many good options :frowning:

1 Like

For someone single, you can get something very decent for $20k > https://rent.591.com.tw/?kind=0&region=1&rentprice=,20000

1 Like

It’s doable and if you’re willing to share you can probably find a decent place like where I used to live for NT$25k - split between two it wouldn’t be too painful.

Otherwise, you’ll probably be spending 20k of your 81k on housing in Taipei without roommates. If you’re here more than 183 days, and IF your landlord is declaring taxes (I never saw it in nearly 20 years) then you can claim a good part of his rent as a tax-deductible but in the worst case scenario you’ll face an 18% withholding tax and end up with NT$66k per month to live on and the rent will come out of that.

Again, although I’ve never lived there (and don’t particularly like anyplace I’ve visited in China), I’d advocate for Shanghai for a year or two. Move to Taipei when you’ve got enough experience to land a job at TAS/TES (if that’s in the realm of possibility) and you’ll be laughing.

i don’t believe that at all. i know someone paying the same rent as me and her place is nasty compared to my huge ass place. the quality is worse too.

Clear ? It’s often hazy especially from a height but again an objective measure of hazy and clear is required. Certainly the air doesn’t smell fresh in Taipei and I often can get a story smell on the bad days from my balcony.

As for the average, where did you get the number from?
I’m not a big fan of averages of anything it tends to be a good way to hide extremes and real exposure of an individual (over a given time period…Or a give location ). But it’s true that a daily average is often used to calculate pollution levels.

Dirty underwear, rancid socks, smoke, betel nut …

My socks …

That’s what it smells like on a bus for sure.

Fortune favors the bold. If you’re single and trying to advance in your career, I would say take a real look at what the opportunities in Shanghai can mean for you. Not just for the time in Shanghai but you’ll have real networking opportunities as well and possible things to really be eye catching on a CV.

I would just have a plan to get out or become rich enough to be able to be one of those that can come and leave every other week.

I believe I would have gone myself if I was single and was more apolitical. I’m not really one to bite my tongue on politics and how I feel so China is probably not a great place for me. But I know for sure I would have done well in that environment.

Have decided that it’s not worth the money , esp for health and personal sanity.
Thanks everyone for your input.

1 Like

Hi,

Personally, I have made the move years ago. That was hard, for many reasons (leaving all my friends in Taiwan etc.) but both professionally and personally speaking, I don’t regret it. I got biased by Taiwan friends telling me not to make the move, and I had a really mixed feeling when I landed to Shanghai. I was lost a the beginning, but this is really easy to meet people, and there are lot of things to do there, whatever you are interested in culture, night life, food…
With the offer you got for Shanghai, I would go for it. Your base salary is totally correct, and with your housing allowance you can find something very decent (I live in the heart of the city at the French Concession for 8500/month in 60sqm, but you can find much cheaper options, including a small garden/terrace for bbq parties for example). I also believe that you could have better opportunities in the future if you stay in Shanghai, better for your professional development. But that’s just my opinion. In my case, I have no regret to have made the move.
Take care!

If fast, reliable and uncensored Internet access is one of your top priorities, then Taiwan is your choice. Same thing if you like motorcycles, since they are now banned from most major Chinese cities. Also, keep in mind that China is becoming increasingly anti-foreigner under Xi’s new nationalism.

As for pollution, yes, Taiwan’s air quality is getting worse under the DPP’s mismanagement, but China is far, far worse.