Coming back to Taipei or going to Shanghai

but if you compare job opportunities and salaries in China and in Taiwan, then the choice is made very fast… Taiwan is pretty much like a deadlock.
Personally after 7 years in China, the pollution is not what bothers me. I think you need to balance the “positives” and the “negatives”. And with a good vpn, Internet is working fine here, of course not as fast as in Taiwan, but I can watch movies online just fine :slight_smile:

Aww come one! Taipei isn’t that bad, give it a chance!

I don’t see it. I haven’t experienced a particularly polluted day in a while. If you stand on the side of the road then that obviously makes a difference, but such is the case everywhere.

What would be a good measurement for a long(er) period then?

It has not. I don’t know why some people keep saying that when all the evidence is to the contrary.

It’s definitely got worse in places like Taichung.
Now the national AND local govts want more factories in China to move back to Taiwan
They are expanding the industrial parks in many areas to make land available. It almost inevitably means more pollution from industry. It won’t affect Taipei as much but Central and South could get worse.

I don’t think Taipei has gotten significantly better either. Maybe less 50cc smokers and yes no smoking in restaurants and offices is great. They still burn a shit tonne of ghost paper even in the city’s commercial districts. And better is a very subjective term between bad and bad.

Hi, thanks for that. Are you still in SH? Do you think you will stay long term?

What’s this?

I visited Shanghai for a week 8 years ago (during the 2010 World Expo there), so my experience means next to nothing.

But from memory, I didn’t enjoy the trip much. Shanghai has an amazing skyline (the skyscrapers are very unique; almost retro-futuristic in style like how sci-fi writers imagined the “cites of tomorrow” back in the 1950s), but I found the locals rude and cold. Aside from the constant line-cutting, no one responded with a kind word or smile or made any attempt to be anything less than “all business” in their interactions with me, Don’t recall meeting one nice or hospitable person, which is opposite my experience in places like Japan or Taiwan (yes, yes, I know some of that hospitality is “fake”, but whatever it’s still nice). The bund is a great sight though, and the restaurants are pretty good.

Yep, like I said. Next to nothing.

1 Like

Aren`t Shanghai ladies the most wonton/wanton in China?

Postgraduate Certificate in Education. Entry level qualification to teach in UK state schools.

Oh. The acronym didn’t click for some reason.

I’m not sure if you’re trying to be super clever, or insulting. Either way, I think it works.

2 Likes

I felt the same. Singapore and Hong Kong were cold too in terms of overall friendliness but they were way better than Shanghai. Wouldn’t go there again.

Like you I’d take a fake friendly face to a cold stone looking face.

3 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong Hong Kong people are quite rude but shanghai takes the cake.

1 Like

Hong Kong is brutally rude… I found myself cowering at the counter when paying them lol.
Please sir can I pay you sir…:joy:

Cough cough…

https://taqm.epa.gov.tw/taqm/en/AqiMap.aspx

We need a @mad_masala pie chart for this :wink:

And an indoor air filter. Bad temperature inversion today all the nice clean air is way up in the sky.

No place I’ve been to has been ruder than Israel. But Shanghai would probably be second.

It’s one of those paper burning days today (I think it’s called 冬至) and I agree that people should really stop doing that.

1 Like