Coming drought

Rained all day Friday; raining today. Rain, rain, rain…

China Post says its rained more in one day then the last two months combined !!

Either we’re all screwed or someone didn’t check their facts, because that’s a month’s worth of water for roughly 16 people.

[quote=“Icon”]
Still not enough. We need a lot more, especially down south. Friggin’ design of Shimen Reservoir…[/quote]

You call the Shimen Reservoir ‘down south’? You should get out of the county more. But yeah, the reservoir is silted right up except it ain’t real silt. It’s sand and gravel and rocks 'n stuff. They have 2 big dredging plants but can’t keep up.

On the subject of silt: Taiwaners wouldn’t know real silt if they were up to their fat buddha bellies in it. You need a real landmass for that. Ain’t a real drought neither.

What I heard was that they actually managed to use the last couple of years to get the shimen reservoir dugged properly out, IE that the holding capacity has improved since 2002. The issue this time has been lack of rain.

I think Icon was right about the design issue. It might be lack of rain now but the next issue will be too much rain IE typhoon and then more rocks and gravel and sand will fill it up again and after digging for a few years they’ll say ‘holding capacity has improved since 2009’.

I’ve cruised the reservoir with the water resources people and been up to the headwaters a few times where my in-laws live and there’s a hell of a lot of erosion going on up there. It takes them 5 years to fix the roads and dig the rocks out after a big typhoon and the big ones come every 3-4 years. I’ve got a feeling Shimen will become more a settling tank than a holding facility if they don’t do more work upstream. It’s not a drought issue, it’s maintaining holding capacity that’s the problem.

If it doesn’t rain, it pours.