Coming soon to Taiwan? Rise of xenophobia towards Westerners

My impression is that the OP is not a “white people” and is trying to stir up some divisiveness for nefarious reasons.

2 Likes

Well I don’t feel discriminated against usually but this week I did feel it and not only me, my black mate felt the same thing. Also I saw a lot of posts about establishments barring foreigners, who are obviously identified by the colour of their skin.

Again if anybody wants me to post them up I will.

I think it’s a temporary thing it will pass.

2 Likes

All over Taipei city, hot pot restaurants, at least one night club.

3 Likes

To be fair, The Bird is in Tainan.

1 Like

the difference is the chinese government themselves is pushing this racism. that is not happening here, or anywhere else.

i don’t understand that article either. why are they sitting on the fence about it? the chinese government is 100% using racism as deflection, its tried and tested for them. sick of this fake news surrounding anything to do with china.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter. I don’t know how many places had these notices but there were a few examples posted around. I think it’s a temporary thing but it’s a real thing.
Read about it here.

1 Like

There was even a book written about it , I think it was called “Black in Taiwan”.

2 Likes

Everyone seems really nice to me here (as long as I’m not walking my dog, then about 20% treat me like I have the plague and about 5% become my new best friend). But I speak enough Chinese to get along and am always nice. While I’m sure some have troubles when they’re nice, I suspect most of the troubles happen when people are being assholes.

3 Likes

Some foreigners dont help themselves, vis-à-vis not wearing masks or following social cues.

1 Like

I wear a mask and think others should also but let’s remember we live in a democratic country. People here criticize China heavily but we are no better than them if we are all forced ( through social pressure or otherwise ) to comply. If Taiwan accepts foreigners into their country they should also accept that not everybody is gonna be in line with their thinking. Isn’t that part of the interest in foreigners to begin with ? That we do things differently, for better or worse?

1 Like

This isn’t conclusive by any means, but last week I did get the distinct impression that two old bats were giving me funny looks when I got on the bus. I had to stare back at them until they stopped.

1 Like

That’s like every day though

8 Likes

Thats what you want Taiwan to be, but this isnt a multicultural society. As a foreigner you get some freedom being on the fringes of society in normal time, but right now society is in pumped up panicky crisis mode. Many foreigners dont follow the news here and dont have a feeling for this. But the media is 24 hrs apocalypse since Jan. Wearing masks has become a moral act, so as a recognizable other, it makes sense to show that you are with the banding together with the group to fight the virus.

Should, could, woulda… its just how it is and the climate we are in right now. There will be little tolerance for foreigners not following social norms.

2 Likes

It’s rare that I notice this actually, at least in Taipei. I have lived in China before though, so my point of reference is everyone staring at me and some taking photos to get mounted and put on their mantelpiece in Anhui province.

3 Likes

And who decided it was a social norm to wear masks? Is it in the guidebook of 100 things you must do in Taiwan? You sound like you’ve no choice in the matter. You do. It should be a conscious and considerate choice to wear a mask, not a forced act. I’d love to know how many foreigners even believe they make a difference ?

Anyways, I digress. I just wanted this post to be a place where people who are at unease or feeling or noticing any incorrect treatment towards foreigners in TW can post and be at ease.

It doesnt matter if you believe they make a difference, im telling you in general Taiwan society does and there is a lot of pressure for people to outwardly show that they are vigilantly fighting the virus. The rhetoric in the media is that the country is coming together to do this. If someone goes to a place with a collectivist culture and wants to ignore the social norms, then there is a good chance people will complain about you.

“Should” is relative

3 Likes

Why would this put people at ease?

8 Likes

I find it unlikely Taiwanese will become more xenophobic towards white people because of this. This seems like an idea from someone stuck in the house too long overthinking things.

8 Likes

Taiwanese people’s typically neutral-to-nice treatment of foreigners has held steady for a long, long time. Even in spite of regular unflattering reports on foreigner shenanigans. I don’t think their attitude is gonna change anytime soon.

11 Likes

So as I understand it people have a right not to wear a mask and put others in danger but other people can’t look at you funny?
I’m more concerned about the restaurants refusing foreigners tbh.

4 Likes