Coming to study at CLD, Question about Visa, Please Help

Ok, So I have done research but I am just trying to make sure i am doing it all right. I am planning on coming to study at CLD in August on the Taiwan Scholarship. In order for this to happen, i need to:

  1. )First apply for a resident visa or visitor visa while I am still in america? (not sure which one)
    2.)Do the strange health check in America or in Taiwan.
    3.) Make sure that I have health Insurance active for 4 months before enrolling in the NHI.
    4.)After 4 months apply for the ARC? (not sure about this one either)

If you guys would enlighten me as to what the proper steps are I will appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance.