Commie propaganda/internet survellience

Hi, I’m new to Taiwan and I remember reading that it’s forbidden to bring any communist propaganda into the country. As an american peace activist, I occasionally visit websites that contain menacing pinko (or anarcho) writings. Does anyone know if this is forbidden? How closely are internet activities monitored?

Hi s.b.,

Welcome! Welcome!

You don’t have to worry about that in Taiwan. Internet is not monitored by big brother like it is in China.

You are free to browse anything you want on the internet in Taiwan.

Well, obviously they must be doing a very bad job of it, because you can pick up the writings of Marx in any bookship. You can even buy books like Sterling Seagraves’ The Soong Dynasty that character assassinates the founders of the R.O.C. You can buy biographies of Mao and Deng and Zhou Enlai, some of them flattering, in Taiwan. I haven’t noticed any press censorship in Taiwan since I’ve been here, but then again I wasn’t around during the martial law era. Perhaps what you heard about, that law still is on the books, as an archaic holdover from the martial law era, but is no longer enforced. Welcome to Taiwan - just because a law is on the books doesn’t necessarily mean anyone’s going to enforce it. The Taiwanese have a rather…loose…relationship with law-abiding.

[quote=“914”]Hi s.b.,

Welcome! Welcome!

You don’t have to worry about that in Taiwan. Internet is not monitored by big brother like it is in China.

You are free to browse anything you want on the internet in Taiwan.[/quote]

Welcome to the land of the free speech? internet! If you have any questions about this site, or need help check out my sig!

Now if you start talking smack about President Chen Shui-bian… :smiling_imp:

Please feel free to spout pan-Blue views on this site, it will be refreshing from the pan-Green suasage fest usually clogging up TP section of forumosa. It so green you’d think it is the Emerald Isle sometimes.

Eh? You can even shoot the president here (and kneecap the VP for good measure) and not get arrested for it. :smiley:

The National Police Administration does monitor the Internet in Taiwan. However, as in the USA, their main interest is catching people jerking off in front of their web cams.

Makes me feel so much safer to know that they’re on the job.

cheers,
DB