Commodities in the New Great Depression: how low or high can they go

WTI just hit $0.01 on beyond extreme volatility.
CME saying they will allow, if it happens, any contract to go negative.
It has happened before, but never for oil.
Past negative contracts have been in potatoes (potato famine?) and onions hundred or more years ago.

I personally will look to open a futures account.
Food commodities will go south too, as farmers see demand implode from sit-down restaurants.
Looking to buy wheat futures about 2-4 years out.

This topic needs its own thread from Great Recession 2.0.

Any commodity can be discussed here.

April 20 U.S. time, April 21 Taiwan time, mark it down.

WTI at -$7.30 a barrel. Yes, not a typo. Just went negative. Contract down 140% since Friday.

There must be a huge massacre of oil traders today.

-$40 (minus) per barrel, down almost 320% from Friday. If this doesn’t wake up government to get economy restarted nothing will.

This has never happened before. They don’t teach this in school lol. No idea

1 Like

Well it’s when everything happens at once.
Honestly, there is probably near zero big empty reservoirs left to store oil. So, it’s like the oil in the pipeline getting clogged (no empty place to put it) and now getting clogged up like a toilet or sink and getting backed up (reversal of prices). In the markets, it means prices tank, and it is probably has bankrupted a severe amount of big and small traders today.

I just sold off all my Exxon Mobil stocks…I still made a return. But it’s a lot less than yesterday. NOOOOOOOO

This will be a generational trade of a person’s lifetime to go long certain commodities at 2-4 years out in futures.

1 Like

never worry about making profit, any profit, in this NGD

It’s making a run!!! Buy buy buy!!!

lol.
problem is tbe contract will expire.
next month (May) is somewhere around $20

Nope, false run…

Is it safe to assume that countries whose economy depend on oil will, like, finish? I mean that’s a lot of countries.

Maybe that’s what the stay-at-homer supporters want. Zero carbon emissions. Let’s go back to horse 'n buggy.
U.S., Canada, Venezuela, Iraq, KSA, Iran, UK, Norway, Russia.

Been talks about MAY contract ending in minus for the last week and the volumes where small, so professional traders did see it coming.

You think it’s better for the oil price if we go outside and spread the virus?

If you think there is no demand for oil after the CCPvirus is gone it is safe to assume so.

I think the oil producing countries will be so desperate to see the oil price raise that we in the near future will get something like a OPEC++ where US is included. Because all the oil storages are more or less full now I can’t see any quick fix.

I asked my 401k guy about XOM last week. He said no way no how no no no. :noway:

Consolidation is coming. Cash is king. Real Estate is already moving. Then banks. Then oil I think.

Hard to know how to make the most money by investing right now. I’m jumping in soon, I rather start with a small loss joining the market down then getting too late into the party.

Honestly, you can make a lot of money during times of volatility. In 3 weeks, my portfolio grew by 9%. Was higher as Exxon performed well for me before I had to sell it off.

But there’s a lot of risk right now. You have to watch the market and scan the news hourly or you won’t do well. I have nothing to do but sit and watch all day in lockdown here in Italy. I read and read. Watch all day.

But maybe I’m lucky. I said Peloton was my winner and it has been. Pure speculation on my part based on my experiences.

I changed my 401k contributions to this:

20% cash
40% tech
40% S&P 500

looks ok.
I’d change to Dow Jones as fewer companies and that is what global investors buy, not S&P500.
Same with the Fed. It’ll buy the Dow. It’s a psychological index, because all newscasts talk about how much the Dow went up, not the S&P500.
Just my opinion.