Common US household items difficult to find in Taiwan

Costco has them now according to my husband. Duo not Ultra.

Yeah me too. Last time I checked, Costco had two kinds of evoo, both Kirkland Signature in 1L bottles. One was from Tuscany, the other from Spain. About NT$450 per.

The thing I miss is good cheap anti-perspirant deodorant. I always pick up 6 sticks (or more) when I’m in the States. Also ancho chili powder ground from dried poblano peppers, the big brick verging on black ones that smell faintly of smoke and musk.

4 Likes

I don’t really bother with Chinese medicine for much. But after a terrible bout with stomach issues in China, I tried what they recommended at the Chinese medicine shop - 正露丸 (Seirogan). This is actually originally from Japan, but has a worked wonders for me. Not sure if it’s great for heartburn but good for stomach pain.

4 Likes

I have no idea what it is and no one can tell me. But I also use it and it seems to work.

2 Likes

Just don’t buy the cheaper olive oil with Chinese on the label. Get the pricier Bertolli etc.; Costco also has a range of qualities, and there are very good ones at the fancier supers.

What others said. Plus raw chicken leg quarters are not hard to find, with or without bone. Some supers have them. Check Costco; I think they have them.

Pineapple chunks are everywhere here! And pineapples. Which you can have cut for you at the roadside truck, or just peeled.

1 Like

My point, in case no one has grasped it (no one has) is that we should avoid seppo-specific titles. In 2020 I thought we were already aware that not all foreigners in Taiwan are 美國人.

I was wr-wr-wrong.

God bless the US of A.

4 Likes

Try finding this outside of prison.

1 Like

anyone tried these bad boys out yet?

Um, @JohnTN, they’re absolutely NOT hard to find: every chicken comes with two of them. Plus, as a bonus, you get the rest of the chicken too.

1 Like

Pineapple chunks is such a generic term that it’s bound to cause confusion.

Nice!

But I’m sure a translation would be offensive.

I live to offend seppos. Coming over here, stealing our sheilas.

2 Likes

:face_vomiting:

Dammit

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

A bit off-topic, or on-topic but wrong place: almost impossible to get salt and vinegar chips in Japan. Everything else is possible, except Cheese Whiz.

:noway:

Oh, I did not mean to imply that I actually WANT Cheese Whiz, myself. Good God no!

I was just mentioning that to help out any Americans* who may wish to come here.

• ‘Americans’ is being used here in the way that they refer to themselves, to assist in their understanding, not how the rest of the world refers to them. Which is likely to be anything from USA citizens, アメリカ人, Yankees, 美國人, 美国人, अमेरिकियों, those arseholes who live to our immediate south (eh!), amerikaner, אמריקאים, les Américains, or seppos. Depending on where you are from.
1 Like