Company asking me to pay for documents for work trip

I’m supposed to attend an expo in China a few months from now. We were planning everything accordingly, and then one day the lady from the HR suddenly told me:“Of course the company will pay the flight ticket and accommodation, bot you’ll have to pay for meals and Visa/documents fees”. My first reaction was:“Are you retarded?”, and after talking with the owner he agreed that I’d not have to pay anything, because I clearly told him that if I had to pay any amount of money to work abroad I’d cancel the trip to the expo.
A few days ago the HR lady made a phone call to my workmate, reminding him that he’ll have to pay for the documents, so documents/VISA fee will be detracted from his salary.

Let’s ignore for a moment that asking an employee to pay for a work trip abroad is borderline insane. Is it even legal to use part of the salary to pay for some documents that the employee has not even agreed to pay for?

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]I’m supposed to attend an expo in China a few months from now. We were planning everything accordingly, and then one day the lady from the HR suddenly told me:“Of course the company will pay the flight ticket and accommodation, bot you’ll have to pay for meals and Visa/documents fees”. My first reaction was:“Are you retarded?”, and after talking with the owner he agreed that I’d not have to pay anything, because I clearly told him that if I had to pay any amount of money to work abroad I’d cancel the trip to the expo.
A few days ago the HR lady made a phone call to my workmate, reminding him that he’ll have to pay for the documents, so documents/VISA fee will be detracted from his salary.

Let’s ignore for a moment that asking an employee to pay for a work trip abroad is borderline insane. Is it even legal to use part of the salary to pay for some documents that the employee has not even agreed to pay for?[/quote]

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Ibis2k12”]I’m supposed to attend an expo in China a few months from now. We were planning everything accordingly, and then one day the lady from the HR suddenly told me:“Of course the company will pay the flight ticket and accommodation, bot you’ll have to pay for meals and Visa/documents fees”. My first reaction was:“Are you retarded?”, and after talking with the owner he agreed that I’d not have to pay anything, because I clearly told him that if I had to pay any amount of money to work abroad I’d cancel the trip to the expo.

Let’s ignore for a moment that asking an employee to pay for a work trip abroad is borderline insane. Is it even legal to use part of the salary to pay for some documents that the employee has not even agreed to pay for?[/quote]

[/quote]

But you’re not Morgan Freeman!

[quote=“Ibis2k12”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Ibis2k12”]I’m supposed to attend an expo in China a few months from now. We were planning everything accordingly, and then one day the lady from the HR suddenly told me:“Of course the company will pay the flight ticket and accommodation, bot you’ll have to pay for meals and Visa/documents fees”. My first reaction was:“Are you retarded?”, and after talking with the owner he agreed that I’d not have to pay anything, because I clearly told him that if I had to pay any amount of money to work abroad I’d cancel the trip to the expo.

[/quote]

But you’re not Morgan Freeman![/quote]

No, but an incredible simulation.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]I’m supposed to attend an expo in China a few months from now. We were planning everything accordingly, and then one day the lady from the HR suddenly told me:“Of course the company will pay the flight ticket and accommodation, bot you’ll have to pay for meals and Visa/documents fees”. My first reaction was:“Are you retarded?”, and after talking with the owner he agreed that I’d not have to pay anything, because I clearly told him that if I had to pay any amount of money to work abroad I’d cancel the trip to the expo.

Labor Standards Act, Article 22:

Wages shall be paid in the statutory, circulating currency; provided, however, that part of such wages may, by custom or business nature, be paid partly in kind in accordance with the labor contract. If part of the wages is paid in kind, the conversion price of such wages in kind shall be fair and reasonable to meet the needs of both the worker and his/her family members.
Wages shall be paid in full directly to the worker, unless otherwise prescribed by applicable statutes or administrative regulations or agreed to by both the employer and the worker.

It really shouldn’t be necessary, but just in case, get it in writing that you’re going on this trip solely for work purposes at your employer’s request and not for any personal purposes so it can’t be deemed “partial payment in kind”.

I agree that asking you to pay for the visa is ridiculous, but I think paying for your own meals can be considered reasonable if the company isn’t requiring you to eat at 5 star restaurants or entertain clients during the trip. (I’m assuming they don’t feed you when you’re in Taiwan.)

[quote=“yyy”][quote=“Ibis2k12”]I’m supposed to attend an expo in China a few months from now. We were planning everything accordingly, and then one day the lady from the HR suddenly told me:“Of course the company will pay the flight ticket and accommodation, bot you’ll have to pay for meals and Visa/documents fees”. My first reaction was:“Are you retarded?”, and after talking with the owner he agreed that I’d not have to pay anything, because I clearly told him that if I had to pay any amount of money to work abroad I’d cancel the trip to the expo.

Labor Standards Act, Article 22:

Wages shall be paid in the statutory, circulating currency; provided, however, that part of such wages may, by custom or business nature, be paid partly in kind in accordance with the labor contract. If part of the wages is paid in kind, the conversion price of such wages in kind shall be fair and reasonable to meet the needs of both the worker and his/her family members.
Wages shall be paid in full directly to the worker, unless otherwise prescribed by applicable statutes or administrative regulations or agreed to by both the employer and the worker.

It really shouldn’t be necessary, but just in case, get it in writing that you’re going on this trip solely for work purposes at your employer’s request and not for any personal purposes so it can’t be deemed “partial payment in kind”.

I agree that asking you to pay for the visa is ridiculous, but I think paying for your own meals can be considered reasonable if the company isn’t requiring you to eat at 5 star restaurants or entertain clients during the trip. (I’m assuming they don’t feed you when you’re in Taiwan.)[/quote]

Well, not really. The cost of a meal outside your country or even your city may be way higher than your average meal. The company cannot force you to spend more on your daily needs “just because you would have to spend it anyway”. Otherwise, you could extend this thought to transport, accommodation, etc…

Ah Taiwanese employers.

Another common one is making the application process to claim expenses so tedious and complicated with multiple checks by multiple managers that for little expense items here and there employees just use their own money.

Another way employers show their appreciation and that extra special heart touching kindness so often spoken about in Taiwan, is when the pack of salesmen, managers and other dudes go on their little bonding trips with each other or the customers and rack up 100s of thousands and sometimes millions of NT in KTV bills, while other employees get their meager daily allowance that doesn’t even cover a half decent meal and hotel on business trips, and often sees them taking the bus to and from airport! Oh and lets not forget that very extra special day in the office when all the cheap chips, cookies and other crap gets handed out

Sorry for the late reply!
I still don’t have any updates regarding this situation, next week I’ll receive my payslip and I’ll see if there’s anything missing. -_-

By the way, the situation for my coworker is a bit weird. He’s Taiwanese but he’s never had the passport to go to China. It’s a document that basically everyone has here in Taiwan, so the company is not happy that he’s using this situation to get it. But if he didn’t have to go to China for the business trip, he would have not needed that passport anyway, so why is he supposed to pay?
Anyway, we’ll see next week.

[quote=“BlownWideOpen”]Another common one is making the application process to claim expenses so tedious and complicated with multiple checks by multiple managers that for little expense items here and there employees just use their own money.

Another way employers show their appreciation and that extra special heart touching kindness so often spoken about in Taiwan, is when the pack of salesmen, managers and other dudes go on their little bonding trips with each other or the customers and rack up 100s of thousands and sometimes millions of NT in KTV bills, while other employees get their meager daily allowance that doesn’t even cover a half decent meal and hotel on business trips, and often sees them taking the bus to and from airport! Oh and lets not forget that very extra special day in the office when all the cheap chips, cookies and other crap gets handed out[/quote]

F*cks sake. I’m actually agreeing and liking a BWO post…I worked for Yuanta for a short period once. They used to hand out the snacks used for bye-bye on a Friday on a first come first snatch basis. The huge excitement it caused was probably the lowest point of my numerous low points working in Taiwanese offices.

Wtf xD Our company has the same bye-bye thing, but everything is shared :laughing:

It’s up to you to work there. Trying to sue them over this will just make everything worse in my opinion.

[quote=“the bear”]

F*cks sake. I’m actually agreeing and liking a BWO post…[/quote]

Everybody loves my posts. I’m huge on this forum. I have a great relationship with the Taiwanese. And waiguorens love me. I have a great relationship with the waiguorens. I’m huuuuuuuuuge.

All good, they didn’t charge me anything :slight_smile: