Compare TAIWAN to KOREAN

Why don’t YOU live in korea if everythimg was better than TAIWAN?
What’s your opinion?
eslcafe.com/forums/job/index.php
eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?Taiwan

Korea=shithole.

That’s why.

[quote]Korea=shithole.

That’s why[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more :bravo:

I spent close to a year there teaching before I came here and its a memory I would love to forget. Apart from teaching issues ( I can’t be arsed to go into those), it just felt soul-destroying.

I will never go back, as any teacher who has been there first and then come here will probably agree.

Cheers

Funk, no disrespect, but what was so bad about Korea?

I’ve a friend who teaches there. It’s been a long time (5 years) I’ve been out of Taiwan, so my most recent Asian experience was visitng her, and that was right after having spent a week in Beijing – even her town in hicksville, Korea (Daegu) seemed a relief next to Beijing… so maybe I’m not remembering very clearly. But I don’t remember it being so bad…?

To yisha’ou

I would hardly call Daegu Hicksville! Its the third largest city in Korea.
The city where I lived (Pohang) there was nothing there, and people in that area are known to be the most conservative in Korea(which is a scary prospect as its mostly a very conservative place).

Like you say… you only visited Korea, did not live there. Everyday for me was a struggle banging my head against a brick wall, because as a foreigner you are either stupid or wrong. Take for example their bizarre belief in “fan death”. They truly believe that if you leave a fan on at night, the fan will suck all the air out of the room and you will suffocate. There is no arguing against it even though I have yet to hear any concrete proof anyone died of this. You are just wrong.

Many of the Christians there are ultra conservative, there was too much back stabbing from locals and foreigners alike. My bosses were sharks… Need I go on?

For me my memory of Korea is one of being depressed a lot. I did my best to try to understand them, but it didn’t go the other way. It has some beautiful countryside, and the women are beautfiul (but in my experience their heads are :loco:) and maybe worth a visit… but I don’t think I will be able to go there again.

Rant over.
Cheers!

Tee hee. You just want to lock them in a room tied to a chair with a fan on in the corner…! What fun!

Tee hee. You just want to lock them in a room tied to a chair with a fan on in the corner…! What fun![/quote]

It was discussed on more than one occasion :wink:

[quote=“monamii123”]Why don’t YOU live in Korea if everythimg was better than TAIWAN?
What’s your opinion?
eslcafe.com/forums/job/index.php
eslcafe.com/jobinfo/Asia/sefer.cgi?Taiwan[/quote]

I’ve lived in both places and loved them both.

Taipei vs. Seoul?

Seoul is bigger and more expensive. Taipei is dirtier and less expensive. Both are loads of fun. One is a really big city (Seoul) and the other is a pretender (Taipei). One has world class public transportation (Seoul). The other has, well…what can I say? Less than world class public transportation.

Both are lots of fun.

I feel foreigners in Taiwan are talkative,but foreigners in korea are quiet. Taiwan’s life is interesting and colorful ,and you can open your mind to talk everything you want,it’s great. korea’s life is just a little boring.

Are there more scrumpdidlyishious Hello Kitties in Korea? Hmm… :smiling_imp:

Japan definitely has the mostest Hello Kitties.

[quote=“wipt”]
I’ve lived in both places and loved them both.

Taipei vs. Seoul?

Seoul is bigger and more expensive. Taipei is dirtier and less expensive. Both are loads of fun. One is a really big city (Seoul) and the other is a pretender (Taipei). One has world class public transportation (Seoul). The other has, well…what can I say? Less than world class public transportation.

Both are lots of fun.[/quote]

Seoul is a pretender “big city,” more so than Taipei.

When you are minding your own business and are dressed normal (read: business suit) and the local stare at you as if you fell form thesky covered in blood and shit - how international and modern is that?

Never happened in Taipei.

When foreign goods have their prices jacked up 400% you aren’t a real big city.

When you date a local and middleage men ostracize her and physically try to attack you outside of the city’s largest train station - you’re not a real big city.

When random off-duty soldiers are kidnapped from a subway and detained to apologize for an accident they didn’t cause - but are guilty because of their race, nationality and job - and the cops watch on and do nothing to intervene - in Seoul - then you are not a real, big city.

When shops refuse you service becasue you’re a foreigner or because they think you’re an American - you’re not a “real” big city.

Seoul is paved peasantville.

If you want to gage how a diverse group of people - who happen to be expats - have a quality of life - read their blogs.

Most Taiwan-based blogs talk about nightlife, having fun with friends, work stress, news, and island history. Many of the bloggers do productive things and lead pro-active lives in Taiwan, forming punk bands, publish materials, study the language, etc.

In Korea they tend to sit and bitch a lot, regardless if it’s justified (and I believe it is) and do little else. They live on the net.

Do the math.

Taiwan may be south of Heaven, but it’s north of hell. I cannot say the same for Korea. It lurks around the first or second, Dante-esque rings.

With this all said, be wary of what you are allowed to read on Dave’s Cafe. The Korean message board has a reputation for being run with an iron, censor-happy fist and people are simply banned for asking why the moderators made a particular decision. Hell, compare the various Korea-based message boards with those in Taiwan and you’ll see a world of difference.

Give me Taiwan any day of the week.