Comparing used bikes

I want to get a used motorcycle and was looking for a bit of comparisson shopping expertise:

I want to get a “regular” looking motorcycle, not one of those skinny zippers that MJB and Ironman have, because I want my son to be able to sit on the back. I’d also like to get one that will have or allow a backrest, so he won’t fall off going over train tracks. I just want this for some getaway mountain riding. I’d like to be able to go to Hualien, over the mountains, yangmingshan…that kind of driving.

I’ve been looking around and found these on another site. I was hoping for pics but none were to be had. If you can help me with a) pics and b) your opinion I’d be grateful. :notworthy:

peace

jds

bike 1: 1997 SanYang
bike 2: 1995 Kymco wolf 125cc
bike 3: ??? Yamaha FZ 150cc
bike 4: 1995 Sanyang Husky

What say you, bikers?

I am also looking for a used bike, Jdsmith, have you gotten any price estimates on these?

NO :smiling_imp:

This come from Tealit.com
shhhhh

Click on the brand you are looking for. BTW, many of the bikes you are looking for have different names in Chinese, so simply typing Kymco Wolf in English won’t come up with a hit. Happy browsing.
Click on [相片瀏覽模式] to see each item as a picture icon.

tw.bid.yahoo.com/tw/2092081443-category.html?

Pictures:

1. tw.f2.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b20982995

2. None for sale

3. tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/a … 2092081446

4. tw.f2.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b21532976

#1 Probably the typical Yehlang, basic farmer’s bike that hasn’t changed appreciably in 20 years. Ostfront material.

#2 Better frame/suspension than the Yehlang, but really ugly fairing, awful weak front drum brake and seemingly less power.

#3 Ask Joesax :smiley:

#4 Overweight, unpowered single cylinder chopper thing. Harley style, almost that much weight, same old Yehlang engine to push it around…

You might also look out for a Yamaha SR150. Similar style to the Yehlang, slightly more sophisticated and more modern design.

Ah yes! The Yamaha SR150 would be my first choice too. The seat and ride position is made for extra comfort and riding 2-up.

tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/a … 2092081446

If you can find a Yamaha Dragfire you might want to check it out. Heavy gutless wonder but it has a good deal of low end torque for a 150, a nice comfortable riding position, especially if you get highrise bars, a relatively enormous saddle for big-arsed people, a sissy bar so the kid won’t fall off the back, and it looks way cooler than any of the other Hardly Davidsons around. Plus its either made in Japan or assembled here from Japanese parts and it shows.

I’ve been very happy with mine, although parking it can be problematic as its wheelbase is a good bit longer than other bikes. Makes for an extremely stable ride though.

www2.ibike.com.hk/ownersreport/o … bikeid=424

Dragfire that may be for sale - I can’t read Chinese.
Also has 2 pics of one.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]http://www2.ibike.com.HK/ownersreport/ownersreport.asp?bikeid=424

Also has 2 pics of one.[/quote]

The dragonfire looks like what I was thinking. I like the fit. I had a similar style bike a while back, a kwang Yang 150cc, and saw a Kymco the other day that looked like its brother.

That’s the style alright…but at 80+k

jdsmith
ass
sling

I love my SR 150.

Mine’s kind of old and rusty though, but meh.

It’s much more comfortable than a scooter. Seats two normal sized people very comfortablely(the person in the back doesn’t slide off the seat every five seconds).

I’ve driven loads of up to about 400 lbs around on it with no problem. If you’re only carrying your son on the back, you shouldn’t even feel a thing. In fact, I drive my 50kg sister around and I can hardly feel it.

It’s big enough so you don’t look like someone riding a kid’s bike.

I’m driving it down to the Taoyuan HH tomorrow and you’re welcome to drive it around if you want to see what one feels like.

img228.imageshack.us/img228/8347/mybike4om.jpg

TainanCowboy wrote:
www2.ibike.com.HK/ownersreport/o … bikeid=424

Also has 2 pics of one.

That’s weird. A Hong Kong based bike site selling a bike from Taiwan. :astonished: I wonder if the bike is in Taiwan or Hong Kong.

[quote=“KawasakiRider”]TainanCowboy wrote:
www2.ibike.com.HK/ownersreport/o … bikeid=424

Also has 2 pics of one.

That’s weird. A Hong Kong based bike site selling a bike from Taiwan. :astonished: I wonder if the bike is in Taiwan or Hong Kong.[/quote]

It’s just a review for the bike.

I’m a bit partial to the fz150, myself. Good suspension, good clearance for twistie mountains, twin cylinder, 5 speed and disk brakes, front and back. Well, not too hard to put a disk on the back anyway. Not extremely fast or zippy, but beats a Husky. Some of them have a little bar behind the back seat that you could probably weld an upright seat extension for your son. Nice looking and you can probably get a good one for around 15 g on that other crappy site. My FZR 150 is as old as the hills, and everything is worn out on it besides the engine. Very reliable.

Other than that, I knew this girl who rode an sr 150 and it was a pretty good bike, all around. She kicked my butt on the Hualien trip, but I’m not toobrave. I’d trade my fzr for it right now.

good luck!
ss3

Here’s a pretty cheap Dragfire for sale:
tw.f3.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/c18686650

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]http://www2.ibike.com.HK/ownersreport/ownersreport.asp?bikeid=424

Also has 2 pics of one.[/quote]

The dragonfire looks like what I was thinking. I like the fit. I had a similar style bike a while back, a kwang Yang 150cc, and saw a Kymco the other day that looked like its brother.

That’s the style alright…but at 80+k

jdsmith
ass
sling[/quote]
The Kwangyang 150 is a different beast entirely. Higher, shorter, less stable, less powerful, just… less.

The Kymcos and Huskys and Zings are also smaller than the Dragfire.
And they’re ALL Taiwan-made. And you CAN tell the difference, even with a cursory glance.
I paid around 40k for my 2000 one about 2 years ago and it hasn’t let me down yet. Sits all day at 100+ if you want it to and pulls well on the hills.
Sweet ride.

what are those retro looking things I see hip doods getting around on.

Brand new, but look old, I think they are “Sym” and I can remember they have lots of chrome in particular a chrome grab bar on the back. Sometimes saddle bags.

Are these what you are refering to Truant?

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/1137314284

[quote=“KawasakiRider”]Are these what you are refering to Truant?

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/1137314284[/quote]
Yeah that’s similar, but I am sure what I saw had wire spokes and was much more retro.

[quote=“sandman”]
The Kwangyang 150 is a different beast entirely. Higher, shorter, less stable, less powerful, just… less.

And they’re ALL Taiwan-made. And you CAN tell the difference, even with a cursory glance.
I paid around 40k for my 2000 one about 2 years ago and it hasn’t let me down yet. Sits all day at 100+ if you want it to and pulls well on the hills.
Sweet ride.[/quote]

Know anyone who sells them used? I can go older and cheaper. But only for bikes. :slight_smile:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“sandman”]

Sweet ride.[/quote]

Know anyone who sells them used? I can go oleer and cheaper. But only for bikes. :slight_smile:[/quote]
That’s not what my mum said. No, wait, that’s not right. COMRADE STALIN? Need your help over here.