Complete Guide to Opening a Rep Office 2011 Update

Yes, @RBE. What happened was I put a duration of more than one year on the application form. I thought they would simply issue me a work permit of one year if they thought the duration I filled in was too long (2 years). Apparently this is not how it works. I called the HQ who told me to call the person on the letter. She told me to change the duration to one year and resubmit. There were a couple of minor hiccups (I forgot to stamp on a translated document) after my resubmission, but eventually it worked out.

Do you know if I can renew the work permit for more than one year after one year? Thanks.

1 Like

You just need your rep office approval papers, your employment contract which states how much you are paid by your home corporation, your work permit, and your personal and rep office chops (probably not necessary but always good to bring it).

1 Like

Yes. You can renew up to the maximum which is 3 years when you renew. Just make sure your performance is well-documented and you have enough of it.

Great, thanks @teacherfei.

How much is considered “enough”? Will I need to provide proof of capital if I try to renew for more than one year? This happened when I tried to apply for a work permit for more than one year.

Go to the NHI office with the documents I mentioned and they will give you everything you need to fill out and you can fill out on the spot.
Btw, I forgot to mention, bring your home country’s incorporation papers.
It’s always best in my experience in Taiwan to just bring everything you have to every office you need to go to because you never know when someone will ask you for something you didn’t think to bring even if the rules didn’t say you need it.

And also, if you’re going to get a rep office bank account, save yourself the trouble and just open it at a state bank. I recommend Taiwan Bank. They have experience with rep offices, but many other banks don’t so you’ll be explaining to the bank staff what a rep office is and they’ll stupidly wonder why you don’t make income.

1 Like

Enough is whatever the examiner thinks is enough. But if you dutifully do what you supposed to do which is rep your corporation by doing quotations, making contracts, etc., you will have more than enough.

Nope. No capital needed.
This happened to you because you tried to file for more than one year from the beginning. In the beginning, rep office manager permits only get one year. Then afterwards you can apply 1, 2, or 3 years.

Got it! I’ll bring everything! :grinning: Thanks.

1 Like

Ok… will I need to provide ALL the documents(quotations, communication, contracts…etc) for the whole year? Thanks.

Good luck! I’ve felt your pain, but you’re almost there. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been in contact with several other agents who offers packages for opening up a rep office in Taiwan and I was told that I could eventually apply for a APRC (after 5 years) with this method. I’ve also been told that I can renew for an unlimited amount of times.

Thanks @SNcbz3 for your insights. What is the due date for declaring income in January ?and what documents do I need to prepare for this process ? Thanks

Curious what are the allowed activities for a Rep Office? If the company is an investment company can it perform all of its normal operations, due diligence, meetings/networking, etc? This almost seems like a loophole of some sort if so…

Also want to confirm, can the rep office be applied for from overseas and does it allow for entry during current border restrictions?

The due date for declaring in January is… January. Go Feb 1 and you might get a fine or at least a stern talking to :joy:

Just for a data point, I declared each year around the same time I filed taxes and never received a fine or a stern talking to. Not that I’d recommend it if you remember to file in January. I did not remember.

I received a call from someone at the CLA saying that she wants to visit me at my rep office. Is this normal?

It was normal in 2013. Had to create a fake office corner at home, print a couple of business cards and put on a nice shirt.

My office isn’t a home office. I have no business cards yet. Hmmm… my rep job started less than a month ago. We’ll see… hopefully the visit will go smoothly.

Dunno why my reply via email didn’t show.
This is a routine thing. Doubt you need a business card. They just want to see that you have a legit working space and ask you some questions about the nature of your business.
Arrange with the place you registered to be there and have a work area set up that day, desk with laptop kind of thing.