Completion rate

Are 100% completion rates a myth in the English language classroom. Is it possible for all the students in a class to have 100% completion and understanding of the material taught over the duration of one course?

Yes, it is reliant on many factors. Do the students do their homework? Do they pay attention in class? Can they read? etc.

Right now I probably have a 90 - 95% completion rate. Because of that I wonder about the possibility of 100% completion. My books aren’t easy, well, some of them are, but those books are written by a guy that believes in teaching the skills more than teaching the book (you know who you are :wink: ).

So, is it a myth?

I think there are many variables, but I think it could be done. Afterall, we are here to teach the kids, not to confuse them.

HERE is the big BUT… most teachers would never want to do what it takes to achieve these kind of results.

My thinking is that a series of books SHOULD get you 100% IF the first book or two were properly done. The scale should slide UP not down. 90% should be 95% in the second book. SHould be 100% in the third.

BUT, the trouble comes in the gap between books. Not many editors and writers can mind the gap very well, and the gap is too far for the students to make an easy smooth transition to the next book.

This happened in my first series of readers. There’s a gap from level 3 to level 4…it sucks as the gap usually appears noticeable after the books have come out. :fume:

Interesting point, but I would like to change the word “teachers” to “students”. Let’s face it, some students simply don’t care about their English classes. These are usually the ones whose parents don’t care as well. Can we help them? Sure. To a point…

Unless all the students have a true desire to learn/study English then a " 100% completion and understanding of the material taught" means very little.

Interesting point, but I would like to change the word “teachers” to “students”. Let’s face it, some students simply don’t care about their English classes. These are usually the ones whose parents don’t care as well. Can we help them? Sure. To a point…

Unless all the students have a true desire to learn/study English then a " 100% completion and understanding of the material taught" means very little.[/quote]
Amen and Amen

Unless all the students have a true desire to learn/study English then a " 100% completion and understanding of the material taught" means very little.[/quote]

I think that it’s a little bit of both.