Compliments and Flattery

Greasing the wheels.[/quote]

Hmm, generally. And therefore invalid and irritating?

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]
Damn presley, I was going to say that. You are such a compliment hog.[/quote]
No, good Doctor. Your patience and foresight forced you to stay your hand. An excellent judgment call![/quote]
Sorry, I was off topic. You are so wise.

[quote=“Buttercup”]

Hmm, generally. And therefore invalid and irritating?[/quote]
Aw! Somebody didn’t get a compliment today. I LOVE your “Reasons To Be Cheerful” thread, Ms BC!

I just complimented myself via PM.

:ohreally: That has to be authorised by jp, you know.

jp, meh.

Greasing the wheels.[/quote]

Hmm, generally. And therefore invalid and irritating?[/quote]

Most of us are social creatures.

Is that a compliment?

I guess that depends on your perspective.

Rowr!

Thank you all. DB, CFI, JP I get what you guys say on an intellectual plane. Gut wise, I can’t agree with BC more. I don’t believe in greasing the wheels theory coz I can tell a random xiao jie she is very very pretty knowing very well I won’t see her again (and no, I like men).

And this has turned out to be a good thread, Mutual admiration society?? :laughing:

[quote=“divea”]Thank you all. DB, CFI, JP I get what you guys say on an intellectual plane. Gut wise, I can’t agree with BC more. I don’t believe in greasing the wheels theory because I can tell a random xiao jie she is very very pretty knowing very well I won’t see her again (and no, I like men).

And this has turned out to be a good thread, Mutual admiration society?? :laughing:[/quote]
You see? I told you you ROCK!

Well, if the ‘greasing the wheels’ mechanism involved any significant cost (as with major altruistic behavior, gift-giving, etc.), then we might be unlikely to expend such on individuals we did not expect to interact with again. But in the case of compliments, the cost is really negligible, and we receive immediate gratification in the form of making another person smile, or in the form of pissing the occasional odd curmudgeon off. :slight_smile:

But a compliment is generally either fatuous and superficial or stating the obvious. Wooliow.

The insincere lying Pripyatic soul of the complimentor will melt like the Nazi faces at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, under the gaze of the pure at heart.

(Excuse me, I’ve been writing an artwork brief for an Italian kids’ workbook, all day. I need an outlet for the purple inside.)

Today I walked into my school and immediately noticed that the secretary had died and cut her hair. She looked really cute. She always looks cute but, today, she looked especially so. So I told her.

I don’t ‘want’ anything from her. But when I see her smile it makes me smile. I love sharing humanity with her, nothing more.

maybe that’s it, thelonelieste - the sincere noticing; giving the other person the opportunity to feel that their life is witnessed?

died?? dyed. I make a zillion typos but I nearly choked on my fabulous drink -of which you will hear in another thread - when I read it. :smiley:

sweet thing to do :bravo:

Is that legal? Nice of you to profer the coup de grace, Sir! :notworthy:

divea, a bad colourist can kill your hair, stone dead!

Died? Eh? The sheer beauty of my memory of her confounded my typing. And I’ll tell her as much tomorrow.

Well, I think that Mr Thelonlieste is the second nicest person on this thread. :notworthy: