Comprehensive GUIDE TO MOTORBIKE RIDING and sciences

This link has answers/facts about 200 different topics: msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

Some things don’t quite fit in with Taiwan’s traffic. But you should still be able to see what the point is…and adapt it to our environment.

Sticky?

Looks like a useful site for born again beginners such as myself. Ta.

From what I’ve read so far, it mostly seems to be good sense, and where it isn’t its pretty obvious.

[quote=“Ducked”]Looks like a useful site for born again beginners such as myself. Ta.

From what I’ve read so far, it mostly seems to be good sense, and where it isn’t its pretty obvious.[/quote]

I only found one thing on there so far that I don’t agree with…and that’s tip number 66. In tip 66 as well as others he talks about how the gyroscopic spinning of the rear tires keeps the bike up and balanced…so if you lock up the rear tire at a good speed the bike can just fall over…since it’s not the speed that keeps the bike up…but the gyroscopic force.

Sounds like it makes sense…but in practice…I often lock up my rear tire…and let it skid along doing nothing…just for laughs. The bike so far has never tipped over. He also says that bikers have an unrational paranoia of locking the front…and he goes on to explain why it’s safer than locking the front.

I’ll lock my back and keep it locked for half a block…I’d like to see someone do that with their front. But obviously locking any of your wheels is just a bad idea…unless your bike is parked :wink: .

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Ducked”]Looks like a useful site for born again beginners such as myself. Ta.

From what I’ve read so far, it mostly seems to be good sense, and where it isn’t its pretty obvious.[/quote]

I only found one thing on there so far that I don’t agree with…and that’s tip number 66. In tip 66 as well as others he takes about how the gyroscopic spinning of the rear tires keeps the bike up and balanced…so if you lock up the rear tire at a good speed the bike can just fall over…since it’s not the speed that keeps the bike up…but the gyroscopic force.
.[/quote]

On reflection my original “where it isn’t (good sense) it’s pretty obvious” comment was a bit stupid, since if it isn’t obvious, how am I gonna know? Mordeth’s point above is an example of the sort of thing I don’t know enough to comment on. Like I said, I’m a born again beginner, so if anyone spots any dangerous misinformation on this site I’d be grateful to have it pointed out.

The “pretty obvious” thing that prompted the remark on msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp was

"So, I want to add an observation that I have made many times, especially to cagers who suggest that they would not ride a motorcycle because they provide ‘no protection’ in case of an accident.

No motorcyclist has ever had to be extracted using the ‘Jaws of Life’, nor has an airbag decapitated him. Think about it…"

Well OK, but I won’t have to think about it for very long. At the sort of impact energies requiring the ‘Jaws of Life’, your average biker is firmly gripped in the Jaws of Death, and so won’t have to worry about airbag decapitation either. Cagers suggest motorcycles provide ‘no protection’ in case of an accident because (apart from that BMW thing that nobody bought) they provide no protection in the case of an accident.

But like I said, this “two wheels good, four wheels baaad” blinkered biker bullshit isn’t dangerous and isn’t typical of the site, which looks useful. I’ll be practicing slow speed falling over as soon as I fix my fork seals and find a “grassy parking lot” (could be a while).

[quote=“Ducked”]

Well OK, but I won’t have to think about it for very long. At the sort of impact energies requiring the ‘Jaws of Life’, your average biker is firmly gripped in the Jaws of Death, and so won’t have to worry about airbag decapitation either. Cagers suggest motorcycles provide ‘no protection’ in case of an accident because (apart from that BMW thing that nobody bought) they provide no protection in the case of an accident. [/quote]

Speaking of which…you check this out yet? : forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 37&#331737