Compulsory Education

Taiwan’s school system is strange. 6-7 years old is way too late to be starting 1st grade IMO.

In Finland it’s 7.

1 Like

I started first grade when I was 4.

Which country? If you want to reveal, of course.

UK, Year 1 (KS1)

The UK gov website now says 5 for KS1, but I don’t know if that has changed because I was 4 when I started according to my mom. Might be because my birthday is right around the cut off date.

I agree with Finland. A later start to formal teaching is better from an educational perspective. Very young learners learn more at home, if possible.

1 Like

6 seems to be the must common starting age around the world for 2st grade, with kids turning 7 during the school year or the summer after.

UK is typically age 4 for reception, 5 for yr 1, and 6 for yr 2. I’ve been told yr 1 is equivalent to kindergarten, and yr 2 is like 1st grade, so doesn’t seem that different?

From what I’ve seen in Taiwan elementary schools, year 1 content in the UK is more advanced than grade 1 in Taiwan. Elementary schools here are a bit of a joke. They put pressure on the kids, but the amount of useful content they teach and expect you to know is actually very low.

2 Likes

Yes. They are local.

Yes, in the Uk, compulsory education starts the September after your fifth birthday. In Taiwan, it is the September after your sixth. You don’t need to go to kindy, but if your kid doesn’t speak Chinese, not going would be a mistake. In our house, we only spoke English English until my kid was big class, then my wife taught her bpmf and spoke Chinese sometimes. Starting grade one not knowing bpmf and some Chinese would be a mistake.

1 Like