Computer - Buy it here and ship it there. A good or bad idea

I’d like to pose a question. Computers in Australia are, as far as I remember, quite expensive. So would it be feasable to buy a computer here and ship it back home, rather than buying it in Australia. Which choice would be better when condidering buying a desktop later on.

The best thing to do would be to buy the RAM/CPU/HDD/VIDEO CARD/MOTHERBOARD here and the monitor and case and other things, keyboard etc back in Australia. If you are just buying a small slow machine, 800mhz, 20gig hard drive, 128meg of ram, its not worth buying it here and taking it back to Australia unless you are going back for an already planned trip. My point is that, small/slow end stuff like that, isnt much cheaper in Taiwan than Aus. The ram, if you are only buying small amounts, mabye $10 - $20 AUD and the cpu’s, slow 800mhz etc is the same. However if you are after fast cpu’s and fast ram and fast video cards, you save a lot here. Basic rule of thumb i use, the faster/newer it is will cost a lot more in Australia than Taiwan. Id buy a top end machine/parts for it and then take it back to Aus and buy the big crap in Aus, computer case etc. Hope that was understandable, sorry just woke up

Creztor, when I go back, I’ll be looking at something that enables me to comfortably edit my camcorder ‘stuff’. So I’ll be looking at something middle to top end rather than cheap crap.

Trouble you with another question. Would I save much shipping to Aus? As if it’s not too much I wouldn’t bother! Do a lot of foreigners do this when heading back (shipping computers)???

Thanks mate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amos:
[QB]Creztor, when I go back, I’ll be looking at something that enables me to comfortably edit my camcorder ‘stuff’. So I’ll be looking at something middle to top end rather than cheap crap.

Amos,

Whats the simplest way to copy camcorder stuff to CD if using VHS tape as the source from VCR?

Shipping it back… hmmmm. Amos I dont know what they charge. If you can find cheap arse shipping rates I guess you could do it, but be warned, its Australia, meaning soon as customs see it 99% they will tax the shit out of it. I got a video card sent to Aus few years ago, value was about $450 AUD and they taxed it 25% or so. If customs dont tax the arse out of it, I think shipping it is ok, I personally wouldnt do it on lots of expensive items. I sometimes send RAM back to friends, but thats small and doesnt cost enough to attract the attention of customs. I myself wouldnt buy a box and send it back, I can see bad things happening to it either during transit or when customs decide to make some extra dollars from you.

Origionally posted by Panda

quote[quote]Whats the simplest way to copy camcorder stuff to CD if using VHS tape as the source from VCR? [/quote]
Panda, if you had a digital camcorder you wouldn’t need to put it on vhs, you could edit it straight onto cd/vcd/dvd. Going the other way, you can now put vhs copied footage back onto your dig camcorder, then digitalise it by copying onto cd’s etc from your computer.

Ctezter, thanks for you advice, sounds like it’s pretty much hit and run, so when the time come I will think it over (buy here and ship, carry it back or but it there)