Computer is crashing

It started when I ran The Sims 2

The first crash happened when I was rotating a house I had designed

Then it crashed at startup a short while late

Yesterday it crashed when I was trying to compress and file and then again when I was using WORD

What could this be? Is my RAM broken do ya think?

Thanks in advance. A couple rounds are on me if you can solve this problem (If ya make it down here to the sticks of Jiayi that is) :laughing:

This is my system:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
1.50 gigahertz AMD Sempron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3.94 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space (But I had a lot more space when this problem was happening)

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD800BB-22DKA0 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) – drive 0, s/n WD-WCAHL4555264, rev 77.07W77, SMART Status: Healthy

ASUS A7V400-MX 1.03
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. A7V400-MX 1.03
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7V400-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1003 07/20/2004

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot ‘A0’ has 1024 MB
Slot ‘A1’ is Empty

RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]
RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
CTX 16.3 [Monitor] (16.3"vis)

Even though you said this happened before it was so full, your hard drive would be the first place I would look. Firstly, you need to free up a LOT of space on that drive NOW. Then do a disk check followed by a defrag.

Let me know if you don’t know how to do those. It’s very, very easy.

ccleaner (crap cleaner) is a quick and relatively safe way to claim back harddrive space. download it here filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

i run it every couple of days and it usually clears a few hundred mb. i’m sure you’ll pick up even more.

then definitely do the defrag irishstu mentioned. if all else fails, back up your data and do a fresh install of windows.

good luck mr lo bo to.

[quote=“JoeyJoJoJnrShabadu”]ccleaner (crap cleaner) is a quick and relatively safe way to claim back harddrive space. download it here filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

i run it every couple of days and it usually clears a few hundred mb. I’m sure you’ll pick up even more.

then definitely do the defrag irishstu mentioned. if all else fails, back up your data and do a fresh install of windows.

good luck mr lo bo to.[/quote]
Seconded, CCleaner is really useful. And run the defragger twice, unless it tells you that it’s not necessary after the first run.

I de-fragged after the first crash cause I thought that might be the problem but it didn’t help.

A disk check? What is that?

I just dumped a bunch of stuff onto a couple of DVD’s and now have about 10gigs left.

I’m going to install CIV 4 again (I had it before but un-installed it cause I got bored of it) and see if it works.

Thanks forumosans. I’ll try the cleaner thingy and see if it helps. You guys rock :notworthy:

There’s your problem! lol joke joke

if you dont have anything you would mind losing then you can try a system restore to a date/time before you started crashing…

if all else fails, try here:

d-a-l.com/help/index.php

you’ll have to download hijackthis, make a log, and follow their instructions before posting, but they will help you.

as was said, have you tried a system restore? this got me back after i “installed” sim city 4 on a new machine.

I defragged twice and it says that I still need to defrag it again.

Is this normal?

Thanks for the Ccleaner. Great little piece of software.

Gonna test my computer today and see how it runs.

I vote for reformat re-install, if you haven’t done so in the past year or two.

Well I took your advice and did a reformat and reinstall.

Same thing happened when I tried to play CIV 4.

I also just finished doing a memory test on my RAM and it’s ok too.

Very strange.

The error message says "System Error (102)

It’s gotta be something to do with my graphics card driver? :help:

How clean is your system? Like physical cleannes… maybe to much dust is clogging your system fans/cpu fans/gpu fans?

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]Well I took your advice and did a reformat and reinstall.

Same thing happened when I tried to play CIV 4.

I also just finished doing a memory test on my RAM and it’s ok too.

Very strange.

The error message says "System Error (102)

It’s gotta be something to do with my graphics card driver? :help:[/quote]

OK, if your computer is well behaved until you start playing this, then yeah, look into updating your graphics card to the latest drivers and also, do like cire suggested and look inside the computer for crap. Could be overheating.

I cleaned it, started it and tested it again. It crashed.

Then I erased pretty much all the drivers I could on my computer and reinstalled all the newest ones.

IT WORKS!!!

I’m glad this happened actually. It took a hell of a lot of extra time that i don’t really have but I have come out of it with considerably more knowledge of computers.

Thanks for the advice guys :smiley: