Computer Jukebox mp3 Player

I’m using Musicmatch at the moment and finding it an awful hog of a program. Does anyone know of a similar program which isn’t such an unwieldy pig ? (In terms of hogging the processor and memory usage)

It’s also pretty crap at looking up album info. “What do you mean you can’t find Sgt. Pepper’s ! It’s been consistently voted the No.1 album of all time ! (for some reason)”

www.winamp.com

That’s all I’ve ever used.

All MP3 decoders are going to be CPU hogs. I don’t know whether Musicmatch has additional garbage going on that makes it worse, but just decompressing MP3 back into PCM takes a LOT of crunch.

I’ve only ever used Winamp also; I’d suggest trying to get an older version, since they’ve added unnecessary junk to the newer ones ever since AOL bought 'em out.

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”]All MP3 decoders are going to be CPU hogs. I don’t know whether Musicmatch has additional garbage going on that makes it worse, but just decompressing MP3 back into PCM takes a LOT of crunch.

I’ve only ever used Winamp also; I’d suggest trying to get an older version, since they’ve added unnecessary junk to the newer ones ever since AOL bought 'em out.[/quote]
I didn’t know AOL bought them out (curse you AOL :imp: ). I recently download the player from their site and it seems to be just like the old version I had before. I think you can limit the extra’s.

I use MusicMatch a lot and it always finds the album info - I’ve been converting scores of CDs to MP3s recently and MusicMatch has identified everyone - from the majorist to the tiniest of labels. Don’t know why you’d be having problems. :?

that was then. Just had 2 failures in a row. Pile o’ shite software :wink:

I set my CD Lookup thingy to time out at the maximum setting, which I think is 80. This improved things slightly. It’s not a bad piece of kit, really, but it keeps telling me I’m not connected to the internet. The little Chunghwa box beside me begs to differ…

AFAIK all of the packages use the same backend datasource. This was a major legal issue at one of my recent employers (who are forever known as “those bastards”), since (a) they didn’t own it, and (b) the datasource owner was changing its access policy.

If MM supports it, you can add your CDs to the database, thereby doing good for society and helping to pump up that company’s earnings potential.

AFAIK all of the packages use the same backend datasource. This was a major legal issue at one of my recent employers (who are forever known as “those bastards”), since (a) they didn’t own it, and (b) the datasource owner was changing its access policy.

If MM supports it, you can add your CDs to the database, thereby doing good for society and helping to pump up that company’s earnings potential.[/quote]

I have added demo CDs which very few people would have to the database via MM, and it has found the data when I have put the CDs into another computer. So submitting info to the database works.

i’ve been using musicmatch since i got it with an ipod purchase and haven’t really experienced any problems (which is not to say that i won’t).

however, if you want something small, try checking out “sonique.” it’s only a player but it’s definitely small.
CDex is a fantastic ripper that complemented the sonique player nicely.

cheers

[quote=“monkbucket”]I’ve been using musicmatch since I got it with an ipod purchase and haven’t really experienced any problems (which is not to say that I won’t).
[/quote]

I’ve been organising 8 gig of music with musicmatch. I don’t know if its the best around but it does make windows media player look like crap.

musicmatch.com/

I actually like iTunes. It’s free, and comes with the free quicktime these days.

So, I’ve spent who knows how long organising 8 gig of mp3’s into 1 to 5 star categories so they can get shuffle played. And now I’ve got to go and get iTunes. Damn.

Note: The basic musicmatch Jukebox I downloaded was free, you pay for the upgrade.

I have many MP3s with non standard titles, i.e. some have the artist and others have the title etc.

What is good software to use to edit the details like Title, Genre etc? Perhaps these jukeboxes can do it, but it didn’t jump out at me.

[quote=“truant”]I have many MP3s with non standard titles, i.e. some have the artist and others have the title etc.

What is good software to use to edit the details like Title, Genre etc? Perhaps these jukeboxes can do it, but it didn’t jump out at me.[/quote]

The program is really keen to jump on the net and search for titles to your music. You have to hold it back. Seems to work. I noticed some grumbles in the earlier posts about musicmatch but these are a few years old. I dug this thread up in a search rather than start a new thread.

Wow yeah. Like 2 years ago. I don’t think iTunes was that big back then either.

I’ve got the radio coming in now. Australian radio etc.

Is there someway to capture the music that is coming into the computer?

(to temporarily hold, turn into an mp3 and play, then delete. You know what I mean.)

Tag & Rename is an excellent program in my experience.

[quote=“Ironman”]I’ve got the radio coming in now. Australian radio etc.

Is there someway to capture the music that is coming into the computer?

(to temporarily hold, turn into an mp3 and play, then delete. You know what I mean.)[/quote]
Do you know what format the radio is in? If it’s RealAudio, Streambox VCR is perfect (assuming it’s play-on-demand and not live)- I’ve used that to rip programs from the BBC on a couple of occasions. Streamripper is a good one too.

[quote=“truant”]I have many MP3s with non standard titles, i.e. some have the artist and others have the title etc.

What is good software to use to edit the details like Title, Genre etc? Perhaps these jukeboxes can do it, but it didn’t jump out at me.[/quote]

iTunes will. Just press Control/command-I after highlighting a bunch of songs. Or use the context menu or file menu for “Get Info.”

if you want more abilities like copying from IDV1 or setting tags or track numbers from file names, you could use something like Tag & Rename or ID3X or Media Rage on a Mac. If you have a mac, you can do tons of tag manipulations through AppleScript.

Can someone who uses Musicmatch Jukebox help me out. I’m new to it and can’t figure how to burn a copy of a disc. Here’s what I did.

Copied from CD, ended up with copy in my Library

Then inserted blank disc and clicked Burn to CD.

The words, “drag 7 drop tracks to burn” appeared. I can’t do that, b/c as soon as I click elsewhere to drag, the pop up burn window disappears and I can’t drag to the regular Burn to CD button. Where am I supposed to drag to and from?

Alternatively, after clicking on Burn to CD and getting the pop up window, I click on “Burn”, but another window pops up telling me “No drive found.”

:s

PS: of course the copy is intended for my own personal, fair-use, space-shifting purposes.