Concerned About Health Requirements

I am very interested in teaching English in Taiwan for a spell. I am concerned, however, about the health exam you have to pass to be eligible to work. I have a diagnosed illness (Bipolar II) that requires me to be medicated. I have been medicated for a while now and am stable but I don’t know if simply having an illness like this which requires medicating makes me ineligible. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Please don’t be angry, but should you be teaching children in a foreign country if you are bipolar? Can it be 100% controlled through medication?

Well from the people I know, it’s not like being bipolar turns you into a danger to society. It’s more of an emotional stability problem, which does not prevent you from leading a fairly normal life.

I don’t know if taking medicine for bipolar disorder will affect your chances of working here (I assume it won’t, but have no proof to back that up), but you should make sure you are able to get your medication locally before deciding. (I assume this, too, won’t be a problem, but it’s worth verifying.)

There shouldn’t be any problem and it should be handled like any other non transmittable disease.

Better than that bipolar teacher we came across at one high-school I worked at.

She was all so powerful and convinced the management that she was so much better and so much more responsible.
She claimed that it was her duty to take care of all her 150 students on a very personal level.
I hardly could manage memorizing their names till classes were switched over again.
It took here 2 days only and she started pushing and bashing my coworkers. She seamed to be a little afraid of me though.

Anyhow, one of my coworkers suspected a bipolar disorder and I think he was right.
After three month or so, she started to grind/spiral downwards. And all of the sudden she quit.
Nothing with commitment, responsibility, and taking care of those kids on a personal level anymore.

I am sure she got my coworker laid off. It was her work, partially his of course. However, she pushed him over the cliff.
Also, I am sure that she was bipolar and did not receive any treatment.

If someone knows about his/her condition and is being treated successfully, I don’t see any reason why that person shouldn’t be a teacher.
Also, I would find it helpful if people could just tell the school so they can deal with it more appropriate.

Everyone has ups and downs but bipolar people are on a roller-coaster and that can cause problems if everyone starts join the ride.