Concerns about a new job - a few questions (also scooter licenses)

Technically yes, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe. :cactus:

1 Like

When I came to Taiwan 6 years ago I already had to do 50cc to 250cc scooter license besides car license.

My wife’s sister was in a similar situation. No license but not at fault. Had to pay the fine, but it was not considered when determining who is at fault. The other driver paid compensation for damaged scooter and injuries.

Me too. One of the first times I came to Taiwan, my sister was pregnant so I drove her in her car. I didn’t have an international or Taiwan license and a blue truck ran a red light hit the side of her car. I had to pay $6000 for driving without a license, but the truck driver had to pay for everything else.

1 Like

Do you know the current laws?

How long has this been a thing? When I got my license in 2009 there was no such video, just written test and course test.

Edit: When I took Drivers Ed in the US back in the stone age (1979), we had to watch this kind of film, the infamous Red Asphalt

I clarified my post. It was 50cc to 250cc scooter license. Under 50cc was included in car license at that time.

i think it been a thing for the last 4 years

1 Like

If you have a car license do you automatically have a scooter license? Been meaning to transfer mine.

No.

Car to scooter? Give it a try and let us all know.

I’ll give it a shot on a rental. No time for taking tests round here.

Thank you for all the great responses.

Just to note two things.

1. I don’t have a car license in the UK. I had a scooter licence for up to 125cc when I was younger but it expired. Even my scooter license in Vietnam is expired so I cant do any transfers. If the test is easy to register to in Taiwan I would happily do it though.

2. I dont think I will be working in the ten branches. They said they have over ten or so schools in the region and that I might be working in different ones depending on the day.

Are teachers work permits attached to a company or to a specific branch/location of said company?

I think it’s been mentioned several times in this thread that the work permit will be attached to specific schools up to 4 locations and if you’re caught working in a fifth school it’s illegal.

I worked for a school a few years ago where I taught at 3 different branches. Each place had to be registered. 3 different pay stubs, 3 different tax thing-a-ma-doodles. Make sure the school sets you up proper.

1 Like

Work permits are attached to a specific branch and you need one for each location.

The exception is open work rights, there’s a few different ways to get open work rights. The easiest to obtain is a working holiday visa but that depends on your nationality and how long you want to work at one school for and how long you want to stay in Taiwan for.

That sounds slightly worrying. It sounds like the company is breaking/bending laws

[quote=“Shaun008, post:29, topic:219693, full:true”]

Since at least 2014. That’s when I took the test

1 Like

to the branch, to the address on your ARC.

Welcome to Taiwan!

4 Likes

Having been in Taiwan for a bit over 10 years, I’d say that they’re going to screw you and the government. That’s how many Taiwanese cram schools operate. It doesn’t make sense but they think that they’ll alway end up on top.

There are so many other schools out there looking for teachers so don’t grab the first one that offers you a job.

1 Like