Conflict

I use alot of role playing in my EC classes. I like to set up the students with unattainable goals in hard to resolve situations by giving them secret agendas. This idea is golden as it gets the students talking and not thinking. I thought I’d drop by this forum and see if anyone would like to share ideas for situations that we all can use, if one so desires.

An example of what I mean:

Student A: A buxiban boss

Student B: The most successful teacher at the buxiban.

Situation: Contract renewal.

B has an offer from a rival that will gross him/her 100NT/hr more than currently on offer from their old school. But B loves his/her job and really doesn’t want to leave. The boss however can only offer a 20NT/hr raise as it is X-mas time and business is slow. B cannot mention the offer but must decide to stay or go after say, 20 minutes of role playing. The idea here is to get them to tender their resignation. Once they do this, then you (the facilitator) pull the rug out from underneath them by recinding the offer, forcing Student B back to the negotiation table to try and get their old job back.

I hope this thread can become a database of scenario ideas. So, if you can think of any, please share.

I have more that I will share, but wouldja look at the time…gotta run…

When you were young, did you burn bugs with matches, or partly bury kittens and run over them with lawnmowers or ?

You must be blessed with an exceptional bunch of students. I never taught a class that could even give any interesting answers to an open-ended question like “What would you do if you had a mlilion US dollars?”

“Sleep.”

Let alone a situation none of them have ever been in or were likely to encounter. Imagine someone else’s life??

:noway:

[quote=“ironlady”]You must be blessed with an exceptional bunch of students. I never taught a class that could even give any interesting answers to an open-ended question like “What would you do if you had a mlilion US dollars?”

“Sleep.”
[/quote]
:roflmao:

"And the prize goes to … "

Hmmm, great idea. May I ask some questions and possibly add some thoughts. It’s 5:41 am and I am up with the dreaded flu bug, so apologies in advance for any rambling…!

I guess that the students you use the above situation with are adults. Do you pre-teach any vocab and grammar or do you just let them open their mouths and see what comes out? I work with junior and senior high kids and find that they only really need a couple of things to get them going, a) confidence b) confidence c) confidence! Sometimes I recognize that pre-teaching a load of vocab and grammar really gets them nervous and panicky, the old “Oh God, am I saying this right?!?” feeling. For example, I got a discussion going with some 15 year olds about the environment and they chatted merrily away, on topic, for about 20 mins. As soon as we opened the text book they got all bogged down, “teacher, what does ‘pollution’ mean?” They clammed up.

So how do you inspire that confidence? I teach a lot of drama to my students, and that breaks down many barriers when I then go and teach them topic English etc. I also try to keep most apsects of my life open when it comes to discussion. I’m NOT talking about being their best buddy, just show them that I am willing to talk about my thoughts, my past, my future etc. If I am not embarrased, then why should they be?
Any other thoughts on how to achieve student confidence in the classroom?

Also, if the role-play isn’t going the way you want, how do you get it back on track? Do you intervene or let it run?

Tom. Still feeling poorly… :frowning:

[quote=“ironlady”]You must be blessed with an exceptional bunch of students. I never taught a class that could even give any interesting answers to an open-ended question like “What would you do if you had a mlilion US dollars?”

“Sleep.”

Let alone a situation none of them have ever been in or were likely to encounter. Imagine someone else’s life?? [/quote]

This may be true, but it’s not the whole story. Outside of compulsory English classes in universities, adult students are usually quite motivated. Ostensibly they’re mostly there for career purposes, often with the aim of going to study overseas to further their prospects. But if you are able to build some rapport with the students you quickly learn that it’s not as simple as that.

For many, the career development argument is a justification for the adventure. They want to go out and explore the world, to learn new ways of doing and seeing things. Even if they’re not coming to class to prepare for a trip they’re often intensely curious about anything a bit unusual. And some do study just because they want to, for fun.

Of course, their prior learning experiences may have been fairly passive. And going beyond your comfort zone is a fairly new concept here, but it’s surprising what can be achieved if you prod them in the right way. OGs little role play would be pretty daunting for a student who has just enrolled in the class, but with the right preparation they may well find that they enjoy it.

For instance, the IELTS speaking task 2 requires the student to speak for 1-2 minutes on a given topic. They get one minute to prepare, and most flunk very badly at the first attempt. They know they’re going to flunk and it makes them nervous. They don’t want to do it, and a big part of the problem is the ‘nothing to say’ issue. I remember one guy being almost suicidal after freezing when asked to describe an achievement of his that he was proud of.

But if you show them how to think of things to say, by asking questions of each other and then learning to anticipate the questions, the problem becomes one of running out of time. (Then you have to teach them to manage their time, plan, structure, etc. That’s OT, so I won’t mention it again.)

It only takes an hour to turn a bunch of clammed-up nervous wrecks with nothing to say into fountains of information. You just have to go give them some parameters to work with. Too open-ended and they don’t know where to begin, but if they have an agenda to pursue and a role to play it can work very well. I think the key is to be pursuing some goal or solving some problem, not just asking them what they think.

I have one group that were playing at being spies recently. Each one needed a cover story to explain why they were at our mythical reception in Hawaii. Most of them have trouble with complete sentences, but they still came up with some great stories. They wouldn’t pass any tests, but the focus of that class is on effective communication and they managed that admirably.

I discussed this article with some of my livelier students yesterday.

The last section was the most interesting because it involved a conflict with someone they knew. My guys discussed all sorts of possible solutions, which I had to nix one-by-one until they had to confront the dilemma head on. I can see a great role play with a small class coming out of this. Picture the most eloquent student standing on a chair to play the role of the fat man, and the rest clustered around him, while you gradually raise your hand to signify the level of the tide. They have to discuss possible solutions, and justify their end decision.

[quote]An enormous rock falls and blocks the exit of a cave you and five other tourists have been exploring. Fortunately, you spot a hole elsewhere and decide to let “Big Jack” out first. But Big Jack, a man of generous proportions, gets stuck in the hole. He cannot be moved and there is no other way out.

The high tide is rising and, unless you get out soon, everyone but Big Jack (whose head is sticking out of the cave) will inevitably drown. Searching through your backpack, you find a stick of dynamite. It will not move the rock, but will certainly blast Big Jack out of the hole. Big Jack, anticipating your thoughts, pleads for his life. He does not want to die, but neither do you and your four companions. Should you blast Big Jack out?

If the roles were reversed, what would you advise your trapped companions to do?[/quote]

This is going to sound incredibly simplistic I imagine (and has nothing to do with conflict neccessarily) but one of the best things I have ever done is called “What is new and exciting?” Basically I tell them that I am going to ask them this “every” class and then I actually do ask them “every” class. They are guaranteed an opportunity to talk about anything they want, and I do mean anything. They got a new carpet installed, their boyfreind murdered the dog, they are going to attend a lecture on bio-technology tomorow… I honestly don’t care but I do expect them to decide what they want to talk about and to think about whatever it is they have to say about that topic. Of course you can make sandwhiches out of whatever they have to say, introduce vocab, do pop ups, correct grammar, run them round the language circle, write a bizzaro little story out of whatever they say, all the usual. I don’t even care if they say whatever it is they want to say in English as long as a serious attempt is made, by the class, to translate whatever they said. It is a team effort and is presented as such. Eventually what happens is that people get to actually know something of each other’s lives and conversation builds naturally, and like natural conversation, totally at random.

I further explain that the onus is definitely “not” just on me to be interesting or entertaining. It is too easy for them to sit there and watch us doing contortions trying to impress and all they do is sit there passively negative. Wrongo boyo I tell em. It’s your turn.

I’ve been doing this for years and it works brilliantly. All you have to do is really insist on it. A lot of my best classes are nothing but “What is new and exciting?”

[quote=“bob”]This is going to sound incredibly simplistic I imagine (and has nothing to do with conflict neccessarily) but one of the best things I have ever done is called “What is new and exciting?” Basically I tell them that I am going to ask them this “every” class and then I actually do ask them “every” class. They are guaranteed an opportunity to talk about anything they want, and I do mean anything. They got a new carpet installed, their boyfreind murdered the dog, they are going to attend a lecture on bio-technology tomorow… I honestly don’t care but I do expect them to decide what they want to talk about and to think about whatever it is they have to say about that topic. Of course you can make sandwhiches out of whatever they have to say, introduce vocab, do pop ups, correct grammar, run them round the language circle, write a bizzaro little story out of whatever they say, all the usual. I don’t even care if they say whatever it is they want to say in English as long as a serious attempt is made, by the class, to translate whatever they said. It is a team effort and is presented as such. Eventually what happens is that people get to actually know something of each other’s lives and conversation builds naturally, and like natural conversation, totally at random.

I further explain that the onus is definitely “not” just on me to be interesting or entertaining. It is too easy for them to sit there and watch us doing contortions trying to impress and all they do is sit there passively negative. Wrongo boyo I tell em. It’s your turn.

I’ve been doing this for years and it works brilliantly. All you have to do is really insist on it. A lot of my best classes are nothing but “What is new and exciting?”[/quote]

Small b bob, what a great idea. Simplicity personified.

Let me ask you this: Do you make this a presentational exercise, as in 1 student in front of all? I ask because I’ve discovered that the benefits of confidence building in such a stand and deliver exercise only works with my advanced students. The intermediate and beginner ones benefit more from being paired off and having conversations with each other. No pressure to perform. No threat of making a mistake=loss of face. Just a simple L2 environment.

I do love the question though. May I use it?

Now, as to the thread title. By creating conflict and unresolvable situations, the students are forced to keep coming up with ideas and ways to express them. The situation I detailed in the OP was for more advanced students but there are many variations that can be applied.

Another “conflicted” situation I like to use is store clerk, disgruntled customer. I have the customer attempt to return a pair of recently purchased socks (a hole in one) without a receipt. The clerk is under strict instructions from the laoban to never accept any returns without a receipt.

Another scenario is the “late for a job interview” scenario. The interviewee must attempt to get a second interview even though they are 20 minutees late for their initial appointment.

Loretta,

While your scenario is a cool, thought provoking situation, I fear it requires acting skills beyond the scope of 99.9% of the students. Also, it’s my ho that keeping the groups to 3 maximum is optimal. I think your scenario and others like it could work with a class specifically trained and sufficiently rehearsed in improv techniques. Still, a good scenario for discussion purposes, to be sure. Just don’t think they’d have the wherewithal to “act” that one out.

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]Loretta,

While your scenario is a cool, thought provoking situation, I fear it requires acting skills beyond the scope of 99.9% of the students. Also, it’s my ho that keeping the groups to 3 maximum is optimal. I think your scenario and others like it could work with a class specifically trained and sufficiently rehearsed in improv techniques. Still, a good scenario for discussion purposes, to be sure. Just don’t think they’d have the wherewithal to “act” that one out.[/quote]

You’re prolly right, but I might try it tomorrow evening and see.

Break a leg! :smiling_imp:

I don’t know about unattainable goals, but one method I’ve found that works extremely well is to have groups decide together on who to fire/how long to send someone to prison for (for made up situations, obviously), etc. No secret agenda is required, cos they all have different opinions (yeah, I know, it’s hard to believe sometimes, especially (sorry to be the one to say it) here in Taiwan.

Anyway, as an example, think of some guy that has accidentally killed someone. His brakes failed, and the guy he killed crossed the road while the green man was showing. The driver had failed to get his car’s official “check up” just a week before and was officially driving illegally. Anyway, a few details like this, and you’ll have a group of 6 arguing for ages about whether he should be imprisoned and how long for. It can lead to a lot of discussion about laws in general.

Anyway, I have a really good worksheet somewhere. I’ll erm… PM you if I find it (If you want).

Sounds great IS…I’d love the worksheet. Is there a reason why you don’t simply post it though…???

[quote=“Old Gobbo”] Let me ask you this: Do you make this a presentational exercise, as in 1 student in front of all? I ask because I’ve discovered that the benefits of confidence building in such a stand and deliver exercise only works with my advanced students. The intermediate and beginner ones benefit more from being paired off and having conversations with each other. No pressure to perform. No threat of making a mistake=loss of face. Just a simple L2 environment.

I do love the question though. May I use it? [/quote]

My classes are really small so it is basically just a natural conversational setting. They can sit down, stand up, lay on the floor and twirl their hair or do like me, dance around to keep the blood flowing. Seriously. There is sometimes music playing in the background and if the conversation lags I teach them the lyrics till somebody else thinks of something else to say. If there is no music that’s OK too. I dance anyway.

I hope you do use the question by the way. It is especially effective I think when “what’s new and exciting?” is something they are going to do in the near future and something that involves using English. Basically all you have to do is get them to imagine the situation they are going to be in and then expand on that. Later they can talk about how it went. Simple future, simple past and all completely natural.

Done.

Led into it with the old balloon debate, but had them assume the roles of some famous historical character first - without telling them what was in store. Half chose to be Angelina Jolie, Bill Gates, or someone else similarly historical. Still, that made it easier to divide them into groups.

They were crap. The idea of chucking someone out of a balloon to save their own lives was too weird, even though we weren’t discussing the ethics of it. I was the captain of the balloon, I made the decision to do it, and they just had to pick who died.

Solution: Well, I’m the fattest. :unamused:

Taiwanese really do hate conflict, don’t they? I spent thirty minutes going round the room chivvying them to argue.

A later discussion about the ethics of killing one to save five worked quite well, but getting them to roleplay the fat man in a cave scenario was a non-starter. But it was worth a try, and they seemed to enjoy the class.

The discussion about the scenario with the runaway train turned up an interesting twist. One guy put his hand up and said “I’m an engineer for the MRT with responsibility for safety systems, and in this situation…” :slight_smile:

One thing that has worked well in the past is to divide them into groups of say four, and then split the groups into two halves with instructions to always take contrary positions to each other.ie 2 against 2. Sometimes you have to coach them in thinking up arguments. The hard part is making them let go of what they really think, and treat the whole thing as a game - a battle of wits.

Then you put a statement on the board and set them off. Every few minutes you write a new statement on the board, preferably with some connection to the previous one.

Children should attend school no more than five hours a day.
Children should start learning English at an early age.
The quality of foreign English teachers in Taiwan is very high.
Foreigners drink too much.
There are too many nightclubs in Taipei.
And so on…

Usually you can get your ideas for the subsequent topics by listening to the arguments. If someone makes a good point then make a new topic of it.

If they’re new to it it can take a while for them to get the hang of it, and the biggest problem (as ever) is the number of people who just have no opinion about anything and can’t be bothered to make one up. Sometimes I think the biggest barrier to language learning is a total lack of personality or anything to say. Thankfully they’re in the minority, but there are sometimes enough that any kind of class at all can be hard work.

I used to have one student who would reply to pretty much everything with “I have no idea.” Ask her to describe something and she could rabbit away reasonably fluently, but ask her to think or have an opinion and you were wasting your time.