Confused about ARC situation

Hi all

I have quite a specific random question about entering Taiwan. I had an arc valid for 1 year but I had to come back to my home country due to Covid 19 to look after my family, since they are vulnerable. Since I came back my employer in Taiwan have said they will have to cancel my Visa because I have been away for a while (after they previously said they would keep it open). They haven’t let me know if the ARc has been officially canceled yet.

However, I haven’t signed any cancel contract agreement yet, so I was wondering if I can still enter Taiwan if that hasn’t been signed and then change my 1 year ARC to the six month one. Also, can my employer cancel my ARC/visa or can they just cancel my work permit, which would mean I should still be able to enter?

I know that if I did enter I would have to do two weeks quarantine.

Thanks in advance

You need to be careful here since your employer can contact immigration and say that you have essentially abandoned your job since it has been a while since you have been there. Then the labor board will cancel your work permit and then your ARC becomes invalid as there is no reason to be in Taiwan then. They don’t need your signature from you if it is considered job abandonment.

I would contact my employer first to see what they have done prior to trying to come back since they will not let visitors in and that is what you would be if the ARC was cancelled. I’d even see if they would be nice enough to extend it further. If you cant get a hold of them, I’d contact the NIA and see if you can find out your status before you waste a lot of money to return and possibly get turned back.

3 Likes

Wait, so you’ve come back to Taiwan? Bit confused.

eh… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

OK thanks for the input. I will wait to hear back from immigration since my employer isn’t responding to me. I’m guessing it will have been canceled and I will have to wait a while and return as a tourist whenever that is possible.

Sorry, I meant since I came back to my home country.

For reference:

I have some questions. If you get a job and the work permit is granted, how long do you wait before you can pick up the ARC?
Plus, are you allowed to leave Taiwan during that period of waiting?
If you are allowed to leave, how long does the ARC wait to be picked up before everything becomes invalid? Would you be able to return to Taiwan without an ARC but have the work permit in normal circumstances or during the current circumstances?

do you mean after the work permit is granted and the ARC is issued?

yes, you may get a letter you are waiting for ARC, iirc.

normally yes, you may get a letter you are waiting for ARC, iirc.

Currently you may need to get a special visa.

1 Like

Yes. You get the work permit and the ARC follows. How long is the wait usually before you can go and pick it up?

You bring the work permit to NIA when you apply for the ARC. ARC application takes about 2 weeks to process, but you can begin work as soon as the permit is approved. You can also choose to have the ARC mailed to you.

1 Like

How long would you have between taking the permit and being issued with the ARC? If you took the permit to the NIA a month or two after you have it in your hand, would there be issues? Or it is perpetually waiting to be picked up?

It’s only waiting to be picked up two weeks after you go to the NIA to apply for it. They will call you repeatedly if you don’t pick it up.

Someone asked me some questions today.
I will ask them here.
If you find employment and are on visa-exempt you convert that to a visitor’s visa. How long do you have to apply? This guy said his 180 days are up in 3 weeks. Would they extend that or once it is being processed, it does not matter? What if they refused the work permit? He said he is trying to get the police record check from his home country, but it is taking too long. What options would he have there?
Cheers.