Confused beyond belief

sorry if there’s already a topic about this, but i’m seriously confused about how i go about getting an ARC after i get married.

i was just told that i need a certificate of marriage that has been notorized by an ROC Embassy…does that apply since i’m already in Taiwan? or do i just take the one that i get when i get married?

also, right now i’m just on a visitor visa that expires 6 days after my wedding…how do i get it extended? can i just go to the police station with a copy of my marriage certificate and household registration (which leads to another question, where do i get that done and how long does it take?) and they’ll give me an extension, or do i have to sign up for chinese lessons?

also, for my affidavit (sp?) saying that i’m not married, i’ve been told that it has to be notorized by MOFA. do i have to take it there myself, or will the Canadian Trade Office do that for me when i apply for it?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

just the one after you get married, if you are getting married here.

the cdn office will do the single thing for ya, but you get to pay them. there is a way to do it if you have someone back home (forget the specifics) but it sounds like time is not something you have a lot of (b4 your visa expires).

household reg thing gets done in your wife’s hometown, wherever the paper is registered at.

not sure if you can get an extension, either the police office or the ARC place in taipei should know - they also have apaper there in english that tells you everything you need to know. if you are nearby, you may want to pick one up.

Please visit taiwanstuff.com/Marriage.htm I think this will answer most of your questions. I think the rules for Americans and Canadians are similar, but I cannot be 100% sure.

Your Taiwan marriage certificate.

[quote]also, right now I’m just on a visitor visa that expires 6 days after my wedding…how do I get it extended?
[/quote]

You should be able to get it extended at the police office. Take your marriage certificate and household reg. And actually, if you hurry after your wedding, you should be able to get everything done in time to get your passport into MOFA within that time. Once it’s in their hands it’s OK, even if it’s due to expire in that time.

can I just go to the police station with a copy of my marriage certificate and household registration (which leads to another question, where do I get that done and how long does it take?) and they’ll give me an extension, or do I have to sign up for Chinese lessons?

No Chinese lessons. Reason for extension is ‘visiting family’ (ie your wife). But like I said, you might not need to if you hurry. Household Reg: You and your wife need to go to the office in her hometown with her book (which may be her family book, or her own), and all your documents, including marriage certificate. You can get it done on the spot.

[quote]also, for my affidavit (sp?) saying that I’m not married, I’ve been told that it has to be notorized by MOFA. do I have to take it there myself, or will the Canadian Trade Office do that for me when I apply for it?
[/quote]

You need this before you can even get married. It certainly does not need to be notarized by MOFA. This is for the District court, before they can sign your marriage certificate. I think it has to be notarized by the TECO in your home country, but I can’t remember. It does have to be translated into Chinese, but you can do that yourself.

If you get the Cetificate of No Impedinment to Marriage, and CCRD (clean criminal record - you know about this right?) and health check, all sorted in time, then you should be able to go to the court the day after your wedding, get the marriage certificate, go to the Household registration office the same morning, and get everything into MOFA in the afternoon. No need for an extension. In fact, if you’re having a banquet wedding, there’s nothing to stop you going into the court and getting married before the wedding. I know people who have done this.

Brian

thanks for all the help

i’ve applied for my CCRD back home, but it’s going to take 150 days to process, hence the need for a visa extension.

now as i’m already in taiwan, do i still need to get the affidavit notarized by the TECO in Toronto? if so, how would i go about doing that in time for my wedding? (which is april)

You mean the CCRD or the single certificate?

I think both have to be notarised. I forgot to get one of them notarised (forget which). I was in a hurry, so I couriered it to a friend. He took it ot TECO and gave them a post-paid courier package to send back to me.

Brian

Rob,

Not sure where you are from, but here is a piece, right from my website :astonished: , that says what to do with the CCRD.

"A statement of Clean Criminal Record Documentation (CCRD) (You can get this from your local police station in your home country or other relevant local or national authority; such as the Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI)). It must be translated into Chinese, and certified at the nearest ROC Overseas Office in your country. DO NOT get it notarized! Expires in three months. "
For more information please visit www.taiwanstuff.com/Marriage.htm

Unless something has changed in the last three years that I am not aware of…

You mean the CCRD or the single certificate?

I think both have to be notarised. I forgot to get one of them notarised (forget which). I was in a hurry, so I couriered it to a friend. He took it ot TECO and gave them a post-paid courier package to send back to me.

Brian[/quote]

sorry, i meant the single certificate. the canadian trade office told me that i don’t need to get it signed by anyone, but the court in banciao is saying it has to be notorized…this is getting seriously confusing…god i love this country! :slight_smile:

Are you getting married in Taiwan or your home country?

i’m getting married in taiwan, that’s why i don’t understand why i need the TECO to notorize my single certificate since i’m already in taiwan

All I know is that you probably do need the singles certificate, and yes you should have it notarized from what I remember.

Jeff,

Thanks for all the help. It’s much appreciated!