Confused by the new immigrations site - JFRV questions

I took a look at the new immigration website for Taiwan. Along with the fancy (annoying) flash, pretty little flowers, and “happy music”, I found the site useless for western foreigners. I managed to find a bit about something that was remotely usefull to me as a foreigner in taiwan; and now I have a lingering question and am confused…

I read the following:

[quote]7.REGULATIONS GOVERNING VISITING,RESIDENCE AND PERMANENT RESIDENCE OF ALIENS
Article 9:
When applying for an Alien Resident Certificate, aliens dependent to their relatives in ROC are entitled to receive the same term of residence as their relatives; in cases where the relative is a ROC citizen, the granted term of residence may not exceed a maximum of three years. [/quote]

Does this mean that a person, such as myself, who holds residence here by way of marraige to a Taiwanese national (JFRV-ARC holder) can only stay for a maximum of 3 years and then have to physicaly remove one’s self from Taiwan and return?

Or, does this mean (as I previously understood it to be) that your ARC is only good for 3 years, uninterupted, afterwhich you simply go and apply for an additional 3 years. And if so, I then take it that this process of extensions repeats itself until you either leave this island permanantly or are burried beneath it.

Am I correct?

[quote=“Quarters”]Does this mean that a person, such as myself, who holds residence here by way of marraige to a Taiwanese national (JFRV-ARC holder) can only stay for a maximum of 3 years and then have to physicaly remove one’s self from Taiwan and return?

Or, does this mean (as I previously understood it to be) that your ARC is only good for 3 years, uninterupted, afterwhich you simply go and apply for an additional 3 years. And if so, I then take it that this process of extensions repeats itself until you either leave this island permanantly or are burried beneath it.

Am I correct?[/quote]
Basically, you are correct. However, the maximum three-year figure may not be granted in every case. Also, you could lose your JFRV status (1) if you overstay or (2) if your local spouse moves out of the Taiwan area for an extended period of time, or (3) if your local spouse goes to his/her eternal reward …

Such a loss of JFRV status, as in items (2) and (3) above, do apply regardless of the “expiry date” indicated on your ARC.