Connect an iPod to Linux (FC4)

Just wondering if anyone has connected an iPod to Linux? I know Apple make it as hard as humanly possible to use anything other than iTunes with their iPod, but I’ve noticed Real player having another stab at doing this.

Last night a re-installed Fedora Core 4 (after really messing up my current install as I tried “new things” :wink: ) Not thinking about it, I suddenly saw an icon of my iPod appear on my desktop (it was even plugged into the firewire port). I clicked on it, but it said I would need Real player. Fine. I downloaded and installed Real player.

Problem is now I can’t get that icon to come back (even efter disconnecting, reconnecting, rebooting, etc). Anyone got any ideas? Anyone ever tried? I will be much more likely to use Linux if I can get it to work with my iPod. I’ve got just about everything else to work now that I need. I’m a bit of a newb, BTW.

I’m using SuSE 10, and the iPod is mounted automatically when I plug it in.
I use gtkpod to manage the files, and sometimes amarok to listen to mp3s directly from the iPod.
Try to install gtkpod, you can find the RPM on the net, if it’s not already on the Fedora CDs.
If gtkpod says it cannot find the iPod, try to mount it manually (let me know if you need help).

BTW, you can install iTunes (4.5, i think) with Wine or Crossover Office. It’s slow, but it works.

[quote=“Andre”]I’m using SuSE 10, and the iPod is mounted automatically when I plug it in.
I use gtkpod to manage the files, and sometimes amarok to listen to mp3s directly from the iPod.
Try to install gtkpod, you can find the RPM on the net, if it’s not already on the Fedora CDs.
If gtkpod says it cannot find the iPod, try to mount it manually (let me know if you need help).

BTW, you can install iTunes (4.5, I think) with Wine or Crossover Office. It’s slow, but it works.[/quote]

Thanks Andre. I do need help to mount it. Also, remember it’s on firewire (if that makes a difference).
I’ll check out gtkpod thanks.
I’d prefer to avoid using iTunes. I don’t like it, even with Windows.

Is yours connected by USB or firewire?

Err… that might be a problem.
I don’t know anything about firewire, I’m only using it to transfer video from the camcorder, and for that it ‘just works’

Thanks a million Andre. I’ll give it a go over the weekend.

Yesterday, I found an article about Banshee. It’s an iTunes clone for Linux. Works with the iPod.

banshee-project.org/Main_Page

OK, well, I installed gtkpod and it works fine (after tweeking a couple of settings so it looked for the iPod in the right place).

The iPod was fine through Firewire, btw. Showed up on the desktop without me having to do anything.

Of course the software can’t play any of the tracks directly from the iPod, so I might try amarak, as Andre suggested.

However, if gary’s suggestion (Banshee) can also play the tracks, it might be a better option. It says it can, so I’ll give it a go and report back.

Thanks again all.