Connecting a laptop to a wireless router

I have a home PC which connects to the internet using a flashing box. I now have a laptop and want to connect it to the internet via wireless router. I know I have a wireless router because I have used a laptop wireless in this house before. But now I have this new laptop and dont know how to connect it to the internet.

Help please…

[quote=“TomHill”]I have a home PC which connects to the internet using a flashing box.
[/quote]

What is a flashing box? A router, a modem, a bridge, a transponder, what?

I’ve been in houses which have no routers at all and used wireless. :astonished: The fact that you can use wireless in the house tells you nothing about the nature of the networking equipment available in the house.

You seem unsure that your router is wireless, what evidence do you have? (Other than the fact that you’ve used wireless in the house before.)

What model of router do you have?

The flashing box is a broadband connection box. I know that I have wireless because when I used my old laptop I could see a page showing all the local wireless connections, and mine was one of them. I then had to enter my own password and ID to get into my connection. Now when I look for wireless networks the page is blank.

Start - my computer - view network connections - and then a blank page.

The box is made by netgear, and is definitely ok for wireless. I am suspecting an issue with the laptop, rather than the pc.

[quote=“TomHill”]
The box is made by netgear, and is definitely ok for wireless. I am suspecting an issue with the laptop, rather than the pc.[/quote]

The first step towards fixing a problem is knowing what you’re working with. Knowing the model of your router would help. Knowing the brand is not enough.

Find switch on laptop for Wi-Fi antenna…turn it to “on” :slight_smile:

Netgear 0681

Laptop is a dell Inspiron 1150. Can’t find a wireless switch.

Thansk greatly for the help and time you have both given so far.

[quote=“TomHill”]Netgear 0681
[/quote]

I’ve googled for it and did not find much. I found a few references but nothing on the Netgear site itself. Can you find specs online?

Sometimes, there’s also a software switch. On my laptop it is Fn-F2. I don’t know what it is on the 1150.

[quote=“lemur”][quote=“TomHill”]Netgear 0681
[/quote]

I’ve googled for it and did not find much. I found a few references but nothing on the Netgear site itself. Can you find specs online?

Sometimes, there’s also a software switch. On my laptop it is Fn-F2. I don’t know what it is on the 1150.[/quote]

The F10 key has a nice wireless looking do-dab on it. Lemme give that a press. Damn it opened the disc drive! Ha ha.

I am seeing ‘network cable unplugged.’ And on the network connections page all i see is a ‘local area connection’ icon, and when i click on that i get taken to a ‘local area connection properties’ screen.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“lemur”][quote=“TomHill”]Netgear 0681
[/quote]

Sometimes, there’s also a software switch. On my laptop it is Fn-F2. I don’t know what it is on the 1150.[/quote]

The F10 key has a nice wireless looking do-dab on it. Lemme give that a press. Damn it opened the disc drive! Ha ha.

I am seeing ‘network cable unplugged.’ And on the network connections page all i see is a ‘local area connection’ icon, and when i click on that I get taken to a ‘local area connection properties’ screen.[/quote]Try FN + F2 That’s apparently the right one for at least some Inspirons, anyway.
Google results for dell inspiron turn on wi-fi.

If your notebook is a new one or relatively new it should have wireless capability. If it doesnt you will need a wireless stick to plug into usb or wireless pcmcia card to plug into the pcmcia slot.

On windows XP and Vista you can look for the wireless icon on the bottom right of your puter screen when its on. The double puter icon is the LAN (local Area Network) which is only for directly plugging in an ethernet plug. But the single puter icon if it shows is what you use to get online wirelessly. Click it once and a box should pop up. It should have two buttons on top of the box saying GENERAL and SUPPORT. And on the bottom of the box you should see
PROPERTIES, DISABLE and VIEW WIRELESS NETWORKS. Click on the VIEW WIRELESS NETWORKS. And there you can search for available networks and connect accordingly. You dont need to know your router model in order to connect , just your password as you have set up.

IF you cant get to this box by the icon, then go to START, click once and the blue box that shows should have a CONNECT TO choice, mouse over that and it should show WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTIONS on top of SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS. YOu want to use the first one.

Try that and see if it works. Of course you need to turn ON your wireless feature as well. You will know that its OFF if the single puter icon shows a big X across it.