Connecting iPod to Logitech Z-5500 Speaker

Does anyone know how to connect an iPod to Logitech Z-5500 Speakers? I have been to Guanghua Market and nobody seems to understand what I am asking for. Can anyone advise me or provide a link to an online store where I can buy such a cable?

I guarantee you Guanghua has what you’re looking for. What you need probably isn’t very complicated anyway.

I don’t know much about your particular setup, but perhaps a male 3.5mm to male 3.5mm cable is all you need? One end plugs into your Ipod, the other end plugs into your speakers.

What kind of plug do the speakers have on them? If it is a mini jack (1/8th of an inch - stereo) you plug them straight into the headphone output of the ipod.

If the plug on the speakers is different let me know.

L.

[quote=“scomargo”]I guarantee you Guanghua has what you’re looking for. What you need probably isn’t very complicated anyway.

I don’t know much about your particular setup, but perhaps a male 3.5mm to male 3.5mm cable is all you need? One end plugs into your Ipod, the other end plugs into your speakers.[/quote]

No, it is not that simple. The speakers have:

Coaxial

Optical

Black / Orange / Green connectors for Back / Front / Woofer.

Can you find a picture online? I think they must be self-powered (with amp built inside the speaker).

Sorry. I’m unfamilliar with this speaker.

You realize that your iPod only outputs stereo sound (two channels), right? You’re not going to get 5.1 surround sound from it. However, you should be able to receive sound from all of the speakers if you put it in the correct mode.

Whatever connection you would use for a normal 2 channel connection is most likely what you’d use for your iPod. Have you tried your user’s manual?

Pick one of the Black, Orange, or Green connectors, set your speakers to Stereo Mode, and give it a try. If it doesn’t work, try one of the other colors.

It is important to note that your speakers should be capable of playing in either Stereo Mode or Surround Sound Mode. Picking the correct mode will be very important if you only want to listen to a stereo audio source.

Here, Limey…

store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W … B825LL%2FA

Incidentally, it says it will accept a standard analog stereo input. Just looking for the connector specs now…

Well, this is what I can see…

"Analog stereo-mini (on side panel of control center) for portable CD, MP3,or MiniDisc

Yes, looks good to me Stu. Jim you should be able to pick these cables up at 3C, Fortress or anywhere selling computer or hi-fi gear.

What does Apple have to do with Logitech? I thought they were different companies.

Happy listening Jim!

Yes, Stu nailed it when he discovered that the contol panel has an extra input on its side. That would be the best one to use.

Above all, the most important thing to remember is: “irishstu likes a brew”. :wink:

I bought a Male to Male 3.5 Analog Stereo Mini, and connected it to the side of my Control Center. I can hear some sound, but it is really, really feint (faint?!?). Even if the iPod colume is up all the way, I have to turn the control center to at least 1/4 of maximum volume to hear anything. Any idea what the problem could be? I tried pulling out all other connected cables, but it mad no difference.

[quote=“scomargo”]You realize that your iPod only outputs stereo sound (two channels), right? You’re not going to get 5.1 surround sound from it. However, you should be able to receive sound from all of the speakers if you put it in the correct mode.

Whatever connection you would use for a normal 2 channel connection is most likely what you’d use for your iPod. Have you tried your user’s manual?

Pick one of the Black, Orange, or Green connectors, set your speakers to Stereo Mode, and give it a try. If it doesn’t work, try one of the other colors.

It is important to note that your speakers should be capable of playing in either Stereo Mode or Surround Sound Mode. Picking the correct mode will be very important if you only want to listen to a stereo audio source.[/quote]

Jim - have a look at the above.

Do you have to tell the control panel to accept that input? It sounds as if the input is on “Mute” somewhere and all you are getting is “bleed through/cross talk”

It is possible that you need to have a seperate configuration for the ipod and the normal system. I would imagine it is not set up to run the ipod and the normal sytem at the same time.

Can you find an online manual? I’ll take a look at it for you.

Important when trying to solve these problems make sure you don’t run the volumes too high. 1/4 should be ample for testing.

L.

[quote=“Limey”][quote=“scomargo”]You realize that your iPod only outputs stereo sound (two channels), right? You’re not going to get 5.1 surround sound from it. However, you should be able to receive sound from all of the speakers if you put it in the correct mode.

It is important to note that your speakers should be capable of playing in either Stereo Mode or Surround Sound Mode. Picking the correct mode will be very important if you only want to listen to a stereo audio source.[/quote]

Jim - have a look at the above.

Do you have to tell the control panel to accept that input? It sounds as if the input is on “Mute” somewhere and all you are getting is “bleed through/cross talk”

It is possible that you need to have a separate configuration for the ipod and the normal system. I would imagine it is not set up to run the ipod and the normal sytem at the same time.

Can you find an online manual? I’ll take a look at it for you.

Important when trying to solve these problems make sure you don’t run the volumes too high. 1/4 should be ample for testing.

L.[/quote]

here

From
here

One or more analog systems
The Z5500 is capable of supporting multiple analog devices at one time. You can change the standard 6 channel analog input into 3 separate analog inputs. This means instead of having one 6 channel surround sound card connected, you can have 3 2-channel devices connected to the Z5500, such as a CD player, MP3 player, VCR, TV, etc… There is a switch located on the back of the control pod of the Z5500 next to the digital inputs. By moving this switch downward to Stereo 1-3 you can connect and use 3 analog devices to the Z5500. To select a particular device, simply press the input button to cycle through each device. You

Irishstu.

Deserves a brew :notworthy:

Hope this works Jim.

For the best quality, the iPod dock has a line-out. Maybe it’s un-amped? You’d get even better quality if you could use the digital out from Airport Express. Stream your music. Who needs more visible wires? :slight_smile: