[Conscript] Conscription of Canadians with China birthplace

Just wondering about this. Say if you’re a Canadian male born on Taiwan and choose to write “China” as birthplace in your passport. Could you then, hypothetically, be conscripted by the PRC? Could you also still be conscripted by the ROC if you list your birthplace as the PRC?

Really just wondering, but seems like it could be a serious consideration. Any thoughts?

You can be president if you’re born in China, you can be Mayor of Taipei if you’re born in Hong Kong. If you put ‘PRC’ would you be even allowed into the country ?
Are you referring to the thing last week where China says it will refuse entry to people who put ‘Taiwan’ or ‘Hong Kong’. Is that visa applications or passports ? Does it ask for place of birth or nation of birth ? Not even China can deny that Taiwan is a place…

Are you referring to the thing last week where China says it will refuse entry to people who put ‘Taiwan’ or ‘Hong Kong’. Is that visa applications or passports ?

Yes.

Does it ask for place of birth or nation of birth ? Not even China can deny that Taiwan is a place…[/quote]

I’m not sure what the wording was. Taiwan is surely a place@ :slight_smile:

Passports require “place of birth,” not “nation of birth.” Canada has already told China to fuck off.

Well, go Canada! Can’t immagine such an outright responce from the States at the moment.

Off topic, but I’d like to share that just 2 days ago someone mistook me, a “United States of America” American, for a Canadian. So, see, we’re not all Americans. Not even those of us who are!

Sorry, too, if my posts sometimes seem a little strange. I’m usually typing with my son on my lap trying very hard to “help” me.

[quote=“housecat”]Can’t immagine such an outright responce from the States at the moment. [/quote]They did, they also told China to ‘go away’ as Sandman said. It was on the front page of the TT taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003059847

My passport gives my Place of Birth as just ‘Manchester’

Yea USA! I was very pleased to read the article that mathewh provided the link for. Thanks mathewh! Anyway, I know it’s all about China’s desire to manipulate and cause Taiwan to be overlooked or ignored by the international community, but these things could make a serious impact in the lives of China’s supposed citizens, no? If Taiwan is China, why couldn’t those Canadians (or whomever) just get a Chinese passport, not a visa?

Anyway, I’m glad that all of the north Americas have got it together on this one.

Mine is listed as New Hampshire. The last time I checked it wasn’t a country. However, exactly 200 years ago, many in NH actively considered succession. Everyone should just tell China to put it where the sun doesn’t shine.

Back to conscription, Taiwan will only draft ROC citizens and PRC has required military training (i.e. learning how to march with a wooden rifle) for college freshman but no draft.

Don’t bet your last dollar on that.