Conscription question, getting an arc, and the 1985 rule

After reading through nearly all the threads on this topic, I’m almost more confused then when I started. A little about myself, I was born in 1985 in Taiwan(29 currently), and moved to the states permanently while I was still a toddler. I’m a US citizen, but I have a Taiwan passport from nearly 20 years ago. I’m looking to move to Taiwan for at least 2-3 years but I would need to avoid conscription because I still have a job and would need to work remotely. From scouring the forums, here is my understanding:

Since I was born after 1985, my maximum stay is 183 days. Even going the overseas chinese route wouldn’t work because of the 1985 rule. However, the part that is confusing is that I’ve been reading posts where they say that getting an arc means that you are exempt from the draft. As far as Hukou goes, my parents have it. And as for ID, I’m not entirely sure because I have the passport from 20 years ago, but I’ve read that that is not the same as an ID.

So basically, my question is, is it possible at all for me to stay in Taiwan for 2-3 years? I wouldn’t need to work there if that matters at all. I know I’ll probably get some replies saying it’s easier just to do the military service, but for me that’s an impossibility because I have a well-paying job that requires me to work every week day. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Are you going to look for a job after you get here? If you know who you are going to be working for, they can get you a work permit and you can enter Taiwan as an American.

[quote=“isemaker”]
Since I was born after 1985, my maximum stay is 183 days. Even going the overseas chinese route wouldn’t work because of the 1985 rule. However, the part that is confusing is that I’ve been reading posts where they say that getting an arc means that you are exempt from the draft.[/quote]

Getting an ARC means you are entering Taiwan using your US passport. It’s what I’m suggesting above.

[quote=“isemaker”]
As far as Hukou goes, my parents have it. And as for ID, I’m not entirely sure because I have the passport from 20 years ago, but I’ve read that that is not the same as an ID.

So basically, my question is, is it possible at all for me to stay in Taiwan for 2-3 years? I wouldn’t need to work there if that matters at all. I know I’ll probably get some replies saying it’s easier just to do the military service, but for me that’s an impossibility because I have a well-paying job that requires me to work every week day. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

You are born in Taiwan, you were probably once listed on your mom’s ID. If you get your birth certificate, you will be able to enter Taiwan as a Taiwanese national and reapply for your ID. That wouldn’t get you out of conscription though, so not sure why you would want to do that.

Thanks for the quick reply. I already have a job so I wouldn’t be able to get a company to sponsor an arc for me. I guess my question is, is it still possible for me to get an arc, given that I won’t be working there and that I was technically born in Taiwan. Secondly, with an arc, how long would I be able to stay without being conscripted? Thanks.

Ah, thanks for the reply. I guess that settles it for me then.