Consequences of violating a contract

I realize that employers are able to hold foreign workers hostage through the contract as they are the ones sponsoring their ARC/work visa. The foreign worker has no recourse as he/she will be threatened with cancellation of their ARC/work visa if they don’t play ball.

But what about someone like me with dual-citizenship. As a Taiwanese citizen, I do not need an ARC or visa. So what happens if I were to violate some BS stipulation of a contract? Aside from deducting or withholding my pay, what can my employer do? Is there any legal action they can take?

EDIT:
This post was originally posted in the ‘Teaching English’ forum as it specifically pertains to English teaching jobs.

They can’t deduct or with hold your pay, at least not for most things. My old school tried that shiz with me and they didn’t get away with it :wink:

[quote=“Tony the Tiger”]I realize that employers are able to hold foreign workers hostage through the contract as they are the ones sponsoring their ARC/work visa. The foreign worker has no recourse as he/she will be threatened with cancellation of their ARC/work visa if they don’t play ball.

But what about someone like me with dual-citizenship. As a Taiwanese citizen, I do not need an ARC or visa. So what happens if I were to violate some BS stipulation of a contract? Aside from deducting or withholding my pay, what can my employer do? Is there any legal action they can take?[/quote]

The best advice is to give them a one month written notice. If they try to do anything to you take it to the labor board. If they fire you without prior notice or reduce your hours you can also file a complaint with the labor board.