Conservationists kill trees to save woodpeckers

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050804/ap_ … cker_feast

Will the conservationists killing the trees help survival the woodpecker species long term? I don’t know much about woodpeckers but it seems killing the trees might be pointless.

Woodpeckers - The [color=red][i]Original PeckerHead.[/i][/color]

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050804/ap_on_sc/woodpecker_feast

Will the conservationists killing the trees help survival the woodpecker species long term? I don’t know much about woodpeckers but it seems killing the trees might be pointless.[/quote]

It’s certainly worth a try. I don’t know if you’ve been keeping track of this story over the past year or so, but it’s pretty amazing. I may have it slightly wrong, but it’s something like this. The ivory-billed woodpecker was thought to be extinct for 50 years and hadn’t been seen in that long, till some guy spotted one and of course when he reported it all the expert birders said he was nuts. So he brought a couple other guys out there to try to confirm it and they saw it again, so this huge excitement and debate arose in the birding world about whether this miracle really was true. Extensive attempts were made to confirm it and apparently it’s true, this remarkable bird that was thought to be extinct for 50 years really does exist in very very small numbers in a tiny area. So, if experts feel killing a few trees might help it to survive, procreate and hopefully increase in population, then hell yea they should try it. It’s a remarkable bird.

birds.cornell.edu/ivory/

That is a beautiful bird.

…and look at that pecker

Thaks for that information, MT. It was very interesting.