Conspiracy theorists, mental disorders and the Dunning–Kruger effect

Just wondering if anyone might know if there is a correlation.

Could you expound on that a bit? I know a bit about all of those things but I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

I was watching the Flat Earth documentary on Netflix out of curiosity. About 1 hour in, they talked about a guy named Matt Powerland who went ballistic and was taking credit for the whole Flat Earth theory. And the way he was talking made him look paranoid and delusional.

This documentary is the first time i’ve heard of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. They used it to describe the Flat Earthers.

The Dunning-Kruger Effect basically applies in every exchange I have with locals in which they assume their English is better than my Chinese.

5 Likes

That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Flat-Earthers are just delusional; they’ll still insist on being right even after being presented with the evidence. The Dunning-Kruger effect has two aspects:

a) People who are unskilled (or ignorant) may be unaware of their own lack of skill, but once trained/educated, they will recognise their prior lack of skill/knowledge. Clearly, this doesn’t apply to Flat Earthers.

b) People who are highly skilled may make one of three errors:

1. they assume that their skill translates into other unrelated areas - essentially a manifestation of (a)
  2. they may assess their own skills as much lower than they really are.
  3. they may assume that because they are skilled, other people ought to be able to acquire that skill easily.

It’s worse than that. Evidence that proves them wrong only serves to strengthen their belief. There was a study of chemtrail believers that revealed this odd aspect to the more extreme conspiracy theorists. Providing them with evidence that refutes their belief system is counterproductive.

The thinking is that scientific evidence is proof of the establishment/new world order/Illuminati/lizard people.

Much like Trump supporters :crazy_face:

1 Like

6 Likes

My guess: flat Earthers enjoy feeding you a lie.

1 Like

Funnily enough this applies to almost everyone, not just delusional crackpots. Rational debate is almost always a useless weapon against entrenched beliefs, even when the debate is predicated on easily-verifiable facts. This is particularly true where there are genuine shades of grey (gun debates, for example, or abortion). People will generally ignore the complexity of the argument and retreat into the safety of a black-and-white position.

5 Likes

What shades of grey??

:crazy_face:

Ah, the folks who wave their fists at clouds and curse them because they’re poisoning us.

That’s what the government wants you to believe… :wink:

1 Like

You’re g_ddamn right.
It’s much more productive to blow shit the fuck up…

1 Like

Its all fun til the conspiracy theorist takes the theory out of the equation. Better to have some crazies around for the odd time they bring something real to attention. More interesting than a bunch of boring sheep everyday.

No one can deny Alex Jones is a riot to watch (in short bursts) when drinking.

do you know the pain he caused those Sandyhook families? Hell, yeah, that was funny to watch.

4 Likes

The limousine liberal, tries to project themselves from a position of intellectual and moral superiority, fail abysmally in both regards and still don’t understand why. Was a case yesterday.

https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/1235809825201651714

Nina Turner (left and surrogate for Bernie Sanders) is talking with Hillary Rosen (right and surrogate for Joe Biden) an discussing a quote from MLK which was actually an interesting topic, I would have been more interested to get Joe’s take on that than Corn Pop and his hairy legs, except Rosen doesn’t want to deal with the subject matter (I assume because they are too above such things) and replies.

“Don’t use Martin Luther King against Joe Biden. … You don’t have that standing,” Rosen scolded Turner. “I’m sorry, you don’t!”

That’s pretty offensive on multiple levels and understandably elicit’s a testy response. So going away Rosen realizes she said something wrong, but just can’t come out and apologize. Instead she goes with this.

They can’t help it, in trying to maintain the moral high ground she is tring to portray herself as the protector of “angry black women”, who might not have been angry in the first place if not for her stupid ass remark.

So she deletes that, I mean maybe one can overlook a stupid comment on live TV (it was really stupid though) and goes with this.

https://twitter.com/hilaryr/status/1235987417586335744
https://twitter.com/hilaryr/status/1235987879869829127

This is where the Dunning–Kruger effect, Nina was angry and rightly so, but Rosen is so dishonest she thinks everyone around them can’t see through their deceit. “I would never call Nina an angry black woman” checks deleted tweet, pretty sure you did 5 seconds ago. Plus now somehow ragging on “disgusting white people” as if she isn’t one and maintains her moral superiority bona fides, the Dunning–Kruger effect is in full force with this one.

Poster boy for the Dunning-Kruger effect

2 Likes

Ya that was rough. And no it wasnt funny. But a ton of other things that guy spews is absolutely a riot. It likely wont be as funny when he admits he is certifiable, but as long as he takes himself serious…fair game.