Constant panting

My dog has been panting constantly for the past few weeks. It is quite hot down here (High of 32C Low of 23C).

Was wondering if this is normal?

He sleeps on the cool tile floor or in front of the fan. And he’s been sleeping a lot.

Do your dogs pant all the time in the summer?

Totally normal. panting is canine internal air conditioning.

Don’t don’t sweat, so they cool down by evaporating water from the mouth.

If your cat pants, then it’s time to get it shaved.

I wouldn’t be happy if I was sweating 24 hours a day. :frowning:

What kind of dog do you have? Long-haired or short-haired? A vet once recommended taking the dog in for regular trimmings during the summer months to keep his/her coat short…remember to keep a bowl of slightly chilled water next to him…he loses a lot of moisture panting…

Are you giving heartworm preventives?

Thanks for the unintentional reminder. I need to start giving Buddy heartworm pills this month (May-October in Maine).

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the unintentional reminder. I need to start giving Buddy heartworm pills this month (May-October in Maine).

:slight_smile:[/quote]

Do get her checked first, because if she is already heartworm positive and you start preventive medicine, it can make the problem worse, depending on which preventive you use.

If positive, treat the heartworm first, then go back on preventives; if negative, go straight onto preventives.

When are we going to see some pics of this ‘imaginary’ dog of yours? :wink:

Excessive panting can be a sign of poisoning, but since your dog has been doing this for weeks and the temp is high, I’d bet it isn’t the case here. It seems normal. But if poisoning were a concern, I’d check the stool and the color of the tongue and gums. And coughing with the panting would be a thing to watch for as well.

:slight_smile:[/quote]

Do get her checked first, because if she is already heartworm positive and you start preventive medicine, it can make the problem worse, depending on which preventive you use.

If positive, treat the heartworm first, then go back on preventives; if negative, go straight onto preventives.

When are we going to see some pics of this ‘imaginary’ dog of yours? :wink:[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, but she’s been checked. In Maine, heartworm tabs can only be purchased from the Vet after he or she has checked your dog.

It’s not my fault, Buddy is camera shy. :help: :wink:

Now that the temperature has dropped a bit he isn’t panting after the sun goes down.

Thanks for the help people.