Construction Conundrum

I’m having a problem rationalising something and I wondered what the members think.

In Taiwan construction noise is something we have to live with. However, I have to object to my enjoyment of my flat being interfered with because some Taiwanese guy wants to make more millions. These are not government projects, but built with only one motive in mind - profit.

If I was to organise music concerts on that piece of land, rather than it being a construction site, everyone in the neighbourhood would complain about the noise. Yet, I can think of many examples where shoddy or non-existent construction work have caused people to lose their savings or worse, be killed when their building falls over. So what is it about the erection of ugly low-cost blocks of flats that leaves the locals in a state of dumb-founded acquiescence ? Wouldn’t they like to be compensated for their inconvenience by the Benz-driving fat cat who stands to make a fortune on the back of their annoyance ?

Perhaps people here are immune to noise. I know they are in Shanghai, where you can pay US$3,000 a month to listen to construction work outside your window.

More likely, however, that any laws relating to nuisance or building work are carefully stifled by the legislature, members of which will each have their own little pet construction project in the pipeline !

It is glorious to be rich ! (Excuse the typing - my fifth floor flat across the road is shaking slightly)

This is just a symptom of a more serious malaise. It is the profound lack of discipline among the Chinese. The consequence of this, in part, is lackadaisicalness and apathy.
To condense: They just don’t care.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]This is just a symptom of a more serious malaise. It is the profound lack of discipline among the Chinese. The consequence of this, in part, is lackadaisicalness and apathy.
To condense: They just don’t care.[/quote]

That’s what I like about you Krauts. :smiling_imp: You don’t let any PC bullshit get in your way of telling it like you really feel.

Politically correct? Where was I politically incorrect? Maybe you can rewrite my post?