Contemplating... leaving for good

I guess if I’m gonna post in this thread, I really should at least comment on this:

[quote=“songzzz”]Sorry to rant but I am kinda pissed with taiwan’s policy with foreigners and seriously thinking of leaving…

Just wanna hear your views about the country… are you happy here? what made you stay?[/quote]
Are you pissed off at “Taiwan’s policy”, or at one or two people trying to get money out of you over the accident you had recently?

If the latter, it happens everywhere. A friend got into an accident outside of NYC, got sued for “medical expenses”, and was told that some enormous percentage – 50% or 80% or 90%, I forget – of “victims” sue for such things. The wife of a guy I knew pulled the same nonsense (and also decided to screw her chiropractor and her lawyer – shortly thereafter, she was his ex-wife). I found out, close to a year after an accident I had, that the truck driver in the fully-loaded 18-wheeler, whom I barely bumped in the back end, had claimed neck and back pain and got US$3000 out of my insurance agency for it. Yeah, right – I doubt the truck moved even a tenth of an inch, and he didn’t even notice until I ran up to the cab and told him about it!

Happens all the time. If you think you’re being singled out because you’re a foreigner in a Porsche, well, maybe so, but if you were a local in a Porsche back home, you’d be in for even worse trouble. You might be in for fewer accidents – they drive like maniacs here – but if you get into one back in the U.S., you’d be looking at legal bills up the wazoo.

As for me, I don’t know how things here will work out yet. Looking forward to finding out, though.

Lu rou fan? Wow! Straight for the old top shelf. No wonder it cost so much. :wink:

HG

I have a mobile phone in my own name. Never applied for a credit card.

LOL!!!

I hope for his sake that he lost a zero in the $3600 :stuck_out_tongue:
But then again 360 for such a meal of tofu and beef stuff and rice is even less realistic.

I was in Taiwan for years and moved back home thinking all would be better.

Lucky enough to have good jobs in both places so work and $ werent the issue.

Honestly, I miss Taiwan terribly. I miss the buzz, the excitement, the different challenges everyday. I think if you plan to leave Taiwan and move back home to a farm and live the rancho relaxo life then it could work out, but if you are in the corporate world and want to make a $ doing something in the city, then moving home (unless its NY, London etc) then home will be just a very quiet place.

I am looking forward to a move back to Taiwan, HK, or somewhere else in Greater China ASAP. I am too young to piss and moan and too young to not do something about it should something piss me off. If you dont like your lot in life YOU are the onyl person that can change it… stop complaining and move on, it really isnt that hard.

I have a mobile phone in my own name. Never applied for a credit card.[/quote]

I have 2 credit cards (Visa: Hua Nan Bank & American Express) in my own name which I can use abroad.
I dont sense much deliberate descrimination (see, cant even spell it …).

I have felt like leaving every place I have lived in at some time or another. Just depends on my mood which can vary from day to day Minute to minute sometimes.
One day I can be up in the mountains thinking how incredibly lucky I am to live in a warm , friendly country with beautiful natural scenery, another day I can be wallowing in self pity at the language barrier & my pathetic progress with mandarin & the ugliness of the urban sprawl.

Isnt everyone like this ?

Hah! A meal like that cost about $2.00 back in the dark ages (1965)! :sunglasses:

Huh? I have both, have for years. Did you queue at the wrong counter perhaps? :wink: Only things I can think of that I can’t do are get a driver’s license that lasts longer than my ARC, or vote. Still don’t think it’s worth being conscripted or giving up my current passport for either of those priveledges.
I don’t often think of leaving, but a trip to Paris this year impressed me with the way the residents take pride in and care for their city…

Huh? I have both, have for years. Did you queue at the wrong counter perhaps? :wink: Only things I can think of that I can’t do are get a driver’s license that lasts longer than my ARC, or vote. Still don’t think it’s worth being conscripted or giving up my current passport for either of those priveledges.
I don’t often think of leaving, but a trip to Paris this year impressed me with the way the residents take pride in and care for their city…[/quote]

Yeah but the Europeans do have centuries of architecture to boast of. Poor old Taiwan doesnt exactly have the ‘hard’ heritage of Europe.

Its a bit like trying to explain Australia’s culture to a European… its in the land, the natural wonders. And it is for this reason we take pride in our cities.

I hope one day Taiwanese (on the whole) take more pride in the wonders of their natural landscape - the mountians, the east coast etc - before its too late.

Unfortunately, I’m afraid that time has come and gone, my friend. I’m even disgusted by the pollution I see island-wide, and I’m from Los Angeles. That’s pretty friggin bad. :no-no:

Okay, I’ll rephrase that for the pedants: “…not allowed to have a mobile phone or credit card in my own name without a guarantor”. There’s a whole thread on this somewhere…

Unfortunately, I’m afraid that time has come and gone, my friend. I’m even disgusted by the pollution I see island-wide, and I’m from Los Angeles. That’s pretty friggin bad. :no-no:[/quote]

Who or what is ‘waving finger’ directed at? I dont understand your usage…

Of the trails I have ridden or hiked the first 5% and last 5% are usually a little dirty but once you get deep into the forest they are pristine.

One of Taiwans luckiest ‘breaks’ is that the earthquakes hit off the east coast therefore making massive industrial development difficult… thus saving the coast somewhat…

Sorry, AWOL. The no-no is for Taiwan’s abuse of a beautiful environment/natural scenery. But to be fair, obviously Taiwan cannot be singled out. But this is where I am now, so that’s that. :slight_smile:

I don’t often think of leaving, but a trip to Paris this year impressed me with the way the residents take pride in and care for their city…[/quote]

You can’t get a mobile phone account without a Taiwan ID. I have one but only because a friend had a friend who worked at the telecom. Same with my first credit card - my boss is the guarantor. My second credit was no problem.

Yes

The money I’m saving here. Cheap healthcare, cost of living. I’ve met wonderful friends from around the world. I didn’t come to stay here forever as much as I like it I wouldn’t like to stay here forever anyway but while I’m here I’m making the best of it.

Well, if anything, leaving for good would be better than leaving for bad, I suppose.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]

Luckily for me, I will soon be based in CA, but will be back often enough for work. That’s the best of both worlds for me.[/quote]

Congrats on the new gig, JB. :smiley:

I enjoy living in Taiwan, despite the occasional hassle. Perhaps my ability to deal with the various problems is due to the fact that I don’t see Taiwan as a permanent setting. I want to live in the countryside someday where I can open up the door and roam at will on a nice piece of land. Just can’t see that ever happening here. If I thought Taiwan was my home for good, I am sure that the foreigner hassles would get to me more than they do.

Huh? I have both, have for years. [/quote]

You can’t get a mobile phone account without a Taiwan ID. I have one but only because a friend had a friend who worked at the telecom. Same with my first credit card - my boss is the guarantor. My second credit was no problem.[/quote]

I’d scan a phone bill to prove this point to you guys, but I don’t want to reveal my name and address. I let a buddy with a mobile phone shop go register my number so I don’t know quite how he pulled it off. I don’t have a guarantor. There is one other way to do this that I know has worked. Have a local register a number, then have it transferred to your name later :wink: This scheme worked with land lines in the past, and with pagers too.

My local credit card I have no guarantor either. I took out a loan to buy a car, and the bank offered me a credit card within a week of getting the loan. I thought that was strange since I’d been through the BS with the other banks, but I’m not one to look a gift-horse in the mouth. They never asked for anyone to sign as guarantor.

What you make of your stay in Taiwan is important. Like anything worth doing, it takes time and effort. The folks who I have seen complain the most about Taiwan are the ones who expect someone else to make them happy.