✈ Airlines | Continental + United = Biggest airline in the world

Nevertheless, I am sure certain engineers will not be happy.

This synergy they talk about often means a massive reduction of the workforce.
The airline biz is heading towards being largely state-owned again because its one biz where profits are very hard to come by and massive losses more the norm.

Yep, I already gave up ever going back to work to an US airline. I stand better chances standing in line with the thousands applying say, for Qatar airlines. :laughing:

What strikes me is how to merge modus operandi, work philosophies, standards… man, it’s going to be quite a shake up.

Too big to fail, I think is the idea on this one. The airline industry, outside of Southwest, is a constant dog that makes pennies on every $100 earned, that $100 not $1.00 for those to drunk to notice.

Crap service, more time in hubs, crappier service and more union strikes

Yep, my excoworker -who’s now with US Airways- says that it will take a while because the flight attendant unions and pilot unions will probably “stand on their eyebrows” as we say in Spanish, menaing they will give a fight to remember because they will be so pissed off…

The main plus in my book is I should be able to combine my frequent flyer miles for these programs. Then I can finally start using some of those accumulated miles.

One obvious downside is there will be less competition, and it will probably lead to an increase in prices.

I was amazed at the low values of these airlines. A successful software startup can be worth more than these airlines in just a few years time, even though the airlines have been around for decades and employ tens of thousands of people.

Show me a successful software company that is that unionized or manages such low/negative ROI as airlines.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan’s lingering third worldism?

Seems now big profits. They will buy 200 Boeing jumbo jets they bought today.