Contract Deposit?

Hello to all who read this.

I recently interview for an ESL teaching position. They sent me a job offer. But with that job offer they asked that I send them $9000 NTD deposit.

This is what the email said “Attached, please find our offer, the contract and training program policy. It’s important for us to know a new teacher is seriously on signing the contract, so we need a teacher sign up the training program agreement with NTD9000 deposit. Hopefully you understand our concern.”

I have never heard of a school asking for a deposit.

Thank you for your time.

If you are a real motherfucker from the bottom of your heart, send them the money.
If not, inform the authorities about a possible scam/rip off and keep looking for a job.

Sorry, but dumbest question ever.

I’ve never heard of this. I don’t know if it’s against the board rules, but it would help if you’d post the name of the school.

It makes absolutely no sense for you to give them a deposit. If you sign up with them but don’t show up for work on the first day, they haven’t lost anything. This sounds like a scam or at best, scammy business practice.

Just sent them a reply.

Sorry, but I don’t have 9000NTD right now.
I could come by and bent over thus proving to you, that I really mean it.
I could eat a bowl full of shit in order to provide additional prove.

Regards

The deposit is not that high, but I would not want to teach in a school owned by the Nigerian prince.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Just sent them a reply.

Regards[/quote]

Alternatively, you could show them that you can actually SPEAK English:

"Just send them a reply.

Sorry, but I don’t have NT$9000 comma right now.
I could come over and bend over i[/i] thus proving to you (no comma) that I really mean it.
Or i[/i] I could eat a bowl-full (hyphenated) of shit in order to provide additional proof".

It would show that you are at least a native speaker who could possibly TEACH the language. If you write English like a Somalian who has spent all of his life in Uzbekistan, you are unlikely to have much leverage. :2cents:

Tell them to go fuck themselves. You can do better.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Just sent them a reply.

Regards[/quote]

"Just send them a reply.

I could come over and bend over i[/i] thus proving to you (no comma) that I really mean it.
Or i[/i] I could eat a bowl-full (hyphenated) of shit in order to provide additional proof".

It would show that you are at least a native speaker who could possibly TEACH the language. If you write English like a Somalian who has spent all of his life in Uzbekistan, you are unlikely to have much leverage. :2cents:

Tell them to go fuck themselves. You can do better.[/quote]
TWD 9000!

Thanks for the effort anyway.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Just sent them a reply.

Regards[/quote]

"Just send them a reply.

Who cares how you write it. Likely the laoban has no idea either. :smiley:

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]Just sent them a reply.

Regards[/quote]

"Just send them a reply.

Who cares how you write it. Likely the laoban has no idea either. :smiley:[/quote]
I should have cared more. However, I was really tired “bend bent bent” flashed into my mind, but I did not care.
Prove verb vs proof noun, I completely missed that one.
Comma? Whenever I pause thinking I put a comma and I pause quite a lot, lately.

Now, the Nigerian mafia won’t take me seriously, and some guy named Jimmy is stalking me, again.

At least, I am not one of those idiots paying, sending or leaving a deposit for/to my/their employer.

Anyhow, where is the OP.
Can you give us some names.

I take it you’re either new in Taiwan or looking for work from abroad as you’ve never heard of a school asking for a deposit. It’s illegal but it’s been happening for years. I was asked and gave a $10 ,000 deposit (it was taken from my wages) by a school I worked for ten years ago. I got the money back when I finished my contract. Soon after starting working there, I discovered by meeting past teachers that the reason they had begun to ask for a deposit was due to a recent high teacher turnover which was caused by the acting foreign manager’s abruptness and general lack of people skills.

I’d be wary of any school asking for a deposit.

I am employing a couple of locals in my little shop.

What do you think would happen if I asked them for a deposit?